close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Movistar Honda team gets chastized by FIM President

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jafar, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

Sete's team managerand Rossi's team get a PRIVATE letter from the FIM president about Sete's and Rossi's clash last sunday. Sete's manager, Fausto Gresini basically says that he doesn't agree with what the president says, saying that they're team wasn't treated fairly.

The president, Francesco Zerbi, responds with a public letter, noting "I am sending this letter to the press because your employee, by violating all principles of education, more so than of law, did not hesitate to betray the confidence that had been granted to him." i.e. his first letter was sent privatly, but Fausto disagreed with it publicly.

Anyway, most of it is below, kinda interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Movistar Honda team manager Fausto Gresini sent an open letter to the media on Thursday night in response to a private letter sent by FIM President Francesco Zerbi to MotoGP riders Valentino Rossi and Sete Gibernau following last weekend’s clash during the Jerez race.

Mr Zerbi´s letter had invited the riders to reflect upon the incident, and to remain as positive examples for all MotoGP fans – asking them to fight fairly and without will of revenge. The FIM President also wrote that he didn’t see any infringement to the rules, but stressed that this kind of situation shouldn’t be repeated.

The comments made by Gresini were:
    “I fully agree with President Zerbi about the fact that sportsmanship is the most important thing. There’s no room for bitter feelings between two great riders, but in the meantime, I’m still perplex.”

“In this letter, Sete and Valentino are treated equally as if Sete had some responsibility in the facts, and I can’t agree with that. I believe there is a contradiction when the FIM president writes ‘there isn’t anything to reproach you for from a legal point of view’, and then warns that what happened in Jerez must not occur again.”

“It means that we’re still far from a situation where all have equal rights, in a sport as dangerous as ours,” concluded the Italian manager.

[here is the presidents response]:

Dear Mr Gresini,

I should not respond personally to your open letter given to the press, but through the intermediary of my lawyers; however, considering that I subscribe to the rules of courtesy and that I believe private life is a right that no-one can deny, I am not going to enter into a controversy – an easy one given the ridiculous arguments in your letter.
    The only thing that I want to stress and which, as a man, mortifies me is that I am mistaken in my judgment of men. And that I say on an individual level far more than on an institutional level.

With much bitterness,

Francesco Zerbi
    FIM President

NB: I am sending this letter to the press because your employee, by violating all principles of education, more so than of law, did not hesitate to betray the confidence that had been granted to him.