close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mt Hood Rally report w/vid

Discussion in 'Trail Reports' started by PeteN95, Oct 26, 2009.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

The Mount Hood Rally was Saturday and for the second year it included a motorcycle class, RallyMoto. This was a one day rally, but they allowed pre runs ("recce") on Friday to scout the roads. It poured rain on Friday, but Saturday was awesome and clear. The roads dried pretty well, but there was still mud in the shady areas. There were 8 bikes entered rangine from a couple DRZ400s to a KTM 950 Adventure.

[​IMG]

I decided to try a trials rear tire, which didn't turn out to be as good as I thought it would be, but it wasn't too bad. It had good grip on everything except gravel, but would break traction abruptly in turns. Oh well, it still worked OK and the guy who was beating me by a few seconds in every stage decided to take a dirt nap on stage 5 and hand me victory. Not pretty, but I'll take it. I think I can go faster on a regular knobby, but that will have to wait for the Doo Wop Rally in Aberdeen in March.

[​IMG]

The roads were mostly hard packed dirt with a little mud and gravel. It was a little more technical and with less WFO than the Wild West Rally in Eastern WA, but I still averaged over 49mph in the special stages. It is really a lot of fun and I am working to get the entry fees down, including a possible first timer discount, so you should consider trying it! Here is the last stage from my handlebars. The first 1/2 mile is actually paved and this was the fastest stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6RFVMsLVKU

2. mjn

mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

Holy smoke... that looks like a complete kick in the ass!!! How fun would it be to rip a gravel road like that knowing there is NO ONE comin the other way???

I'd LOVE to do that on my ATV....

3. volxport

volxport Guest

Pete,

It was a heck of a day and yeah it was a bunch of fun. It was my first race on the motorcycle and boy oh boy I had my share of gotcha moments.

See you soon

Volx

For those interested the Next RallyMoto is Doowops Rally March 6-7

4. Yeah, a trials tire is a bad choice for high speed stuff. They work great on nasty single track, but don't slide well at all.