close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mt Hood RallyMoto 2010 report

Discussion in 'Trail Reports' started by PeteN95, Oct 29, 2010.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

I went down to the Mt Hood Rally to run in the RallyMoto class for dual sport motorcycles last weekend. Mic and Token from PNWR came by the pits to say hi and give some cheer us on. Unfortunately, there were only two bikes, my XR650R and a KTM990 Adventure. It was also Steve's first rally, actually his first motorcycle competition of any type!? He did really great for riding that big KTM twin and no race/rally experience!! We just stuck together and had a great time. The weather was great, much better than expected and all the rally people were very nice. We got thumbs up from everyone all day long.

The stages ran the opposite direction from last year, which made it a bit easier as they were mostly up hill. One stage, road 17, had been recently graded and had fresh gravel, which made for some loose, but smooth sliding fun! One stage had a cloud parked on top, which made it really foggy right by the spectator area. We probably looked slow, but when you don't have someone sitting next to you telling you where the road goes and a rollcage, you need to be a little careful.

It was still cloudy on the second pass, so I slowed and popped a wheelie, just to give the spectators a little show. Unfortunately, as soon as I got the wheel up, all I could see was white!?! So I let it right back down. On another stage I had a large maple leaf stick to my face shield, I was wearing an Arai XD not goggles. I got it right off, but at about 60mph, it got my attention, glad it was straight there!

I just love doing the rallies. Ripping up fire roads with the knowledge that there is nothing coming the other direction is just a blast! It is a bit expensive, but it is unlike any other type of racing I've done before and well worth it IMO. If you have a dual sport, of any size, you should consider it next year. The NASA membership and license is $95, but hopefully we will have additional rallies next year besides Mt Hood to spread the cost. If anyone is interested in learning more about RallyMoto, I will be doing a Powerpoint presentation at Ride West BMW in Seattle on Saturday 2/19 at 9am. Here are a couple pics of us having fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. i wish this type of stuff was advertised more, and before it happened instead of after. i really don't have time to search for each and every type of racing i think i would like to do.

how could a guy promote this better?

3. PeteN95

Fred, I'm sorry, but I did try to get the word out. I got a little depressed that the Wild West Rally in Pomeroy, WA got cancelled in Sept. for lack of volunteers. Hopefully next year the Wild West, the Idaho Rally, and the Mt Hood will all run RallyMoto again. I will PM you when my presentation is coming up. Your Ape is a RallyMoto weapon!!

4. Exactly! I have never heard of any of these races. Is there a series for them or anything? What is the best way to get the word out, radio, magazine ads, shops across the state (not just local ones), news paper flyers? There has got to be a good, inexpensive way to let everyone know about cool stuff like this.

Maybe the name of the event should have something to do with what it is, as opposed to "moonlight madness" because it happens around halloween. I don't know.
    Posted via PNW Riders Mobile

5. Mic

Mic Retired

Heh, I didn't even know there was a Trail Reports section! Just noticed this Pete!

It was great seeing you out.

Maybe next year, if things are not so hectic, I'll join yah at the Mt. Hood Rally on my 225 =) Will make things more interesting and fun!

No decent pictures came out of you, we heard it was cars first, then Motorcycles...

Then here you come first, Neither Jerome nor I were setup yet... I was hoping to get a couple good pictures, but none of you came out =(

I only got one picture of the KTM dude where some of his bike was in Focus... Unfortunately, Jerome decided it was an opportune time to stand up...

[​IMG]

6. Is the race only open to dual sports, or do they have a dirt bike class as well?

7. Mic

Mic Retired

It is a rally race on public roads, so your vehicle must be street legal.

8. K, thanks for the clarification!

9. PeteN95

Just put some knobs on the GS500! :)

10. Anyone else thinking about winning Pikes Peak this year?

11. PeteN95

I'd love to do Pike's Peak, been thinking about it for many years. But I've raced against the Trachy bros, so I know it would be very difficult to win!

12. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

That seems kinda cool... but fire roads are kinda boring man! Come do a poker run with us!

13. Twist the throttle a little more and they will become not kinda boring man :scared

14. Anything you are doing as fast as you can is pretty cool, especially if you are competetive! I would bet even the salt flat runs are a blast.

15. Gamuru

Gamuru Big Brother

That does look fun. I'll keep an eye out for it next year.