close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My big dillemma with getting a 636...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Jun 22, 2005.

1. I was so hung up on getting that 636 with Jafar voicing his every concern in my ear, but then I witnessed Spiral Highway the other day.

fast_lcf on his 600, who KNOWS Spiral Highway, was riding with Fighterama on a 748 and mcjunky on his TL1000, and both of them was at Spiral for only their second time.

And fast_lcf had to literally ring the shnozzleberries outta his 6 to even keep up with them. He told me knew that road so well, but he couldnt keep up with them as they exited the apex cause the additional torque they had was just there, no matter if their motos are heavier. He said he pinned that throttle and never let up on it but there stronger bikes were too much.

Makes me think a 10R is the only suitable choice...ya'll know Spiral for those who have riden it. Now voice back...

2. Even my Max, [which is certainly no sportbike] with the right setup, can outrun many 600 sportbike riders in the mountains.. because almost no road is all twisties, and in the straight-aways the 'Max outpulls them easily.. it walks away. I would want a + - 750 cc and another advantage is if you go 2 up, the 750/800 class has a much easier time of it.

3. cordodor

cordodor Retired

the beautiful thing about the 600's is that you can brake really late cuz you dont have so much to slow down and that you can flick them over quicker than the bigger bikes. if you dont take advantage of those two, of course you're gonna get beat.

4. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

your right beans, on a road like spiral, its all about torque--its mostly brake, point, and shoot. those are hairpins, and you have to pull out of the turns in first gear (if i remember right) at low speeds. the 6 doesn't make power that low, i've noticed it on my 6rr. you barely get into your powerband on that road with a 6, probably. the 636 is a racebike, and i think is for more sweeping highspeed turns. the 636 will handle better than the TL and the 748, and its top-end will probably take both of them, at least keep up with the TL (thats my guess, i've had my 6rr up to almost 175mph, i think a TL would be pushing it to go that fast, am i wrong?).

i bet a TL could take a 10r on a road like that, maybe even the 748 could take it too. any comments, cause i'm just speculating.

and yeah, the 6 will outbreak the TL (garunteed) and the 748 (most likely).

remember, the supersport (600cc) bikes, which are allowed less mods than the superbikes (1000cc), are usually only a few seconds behind the superbikes on most tracks.

5. so will a 10r give me the potential to be a few seconds ahead?

6. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Beans, you would actually be surprised with the 636, I have no problems one bit so ever keeping up with 1000's, partially thanks to the larger sprocket. It is all a matter of the knowing the bike! When I am entering a corner, the rpm's ar at 8-10,000 and when I exit, I am at 12-14,500. She screams, but has no lack in power, just click up to the next gear and she keeps pulling!
    But the difference, mine is an 2003! So I would think that the newer ones are pushing more power!
    That is my opinion....

7. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

only if you can use its potential to its fullest--which is much harder than a 6 and more dangerous, in my opinion. on a high-hp bike, i tend to be a lot more timid coming onto the throttle out of corners, on a 6 i am more aggressive and learn more.

somone who gets used to using power to keep up with people who are fast in the corners will never learn how to be fast in the corners. and there no skill involved with jacking the throttle, except in keeping the front end on the ground. then, while everone else is getting better at cornering and move up to bigger bikes, the other guy is left in the dust.

why do you think that its a progression from 125cc, to 250cc to MotoGP? it gets harder and harder to ride the bigger bikes. look at all the videos of guys getting on bikes and wrecking them before they go a few feet.

8. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Oh yeah! When I raced Jason on his TL in the quarter, I was beating him. Not by much though.

9. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

worst of all, say you do a track day and your on your 10r, then some guy starts lapping you on his 6r. aint that gonna suck?--i bet it happends all the time.

10. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

in the end, its about having fun. so if the 10 is more fun, get it. a big part of me wishes i had a 10, but for me its smarter in the long run to go with the 6 (i think the 10 would send me to the hospital). i already almost highsided on my 6...

11. cool thing about a liter bike is on spiral you can just keep it in 2nd until the straights. I found on some corners first is a little much as your front lifts too much and it just goes straight instead turning-something about a bike on one wheel doesn't like to turn. The are a lot smoother in 2nd.

you will get more life out of your motor when you are not running it in the top end all the time. Just buy the 10r and quit BS'ing all the time. The new 1k's are real close to turn in capabilities of a six its just if you can manage the power.

I will spell it out for you one more time-you won't be happy on a six after riding the 12 for 3 years. its night and day and you have to ride in a different part of the powerband and shift a lot more to keep it there.

Also you are not the lightest guy in the world.

As far as getting lapped on a 10r its a fact of life there are much better riders out there than all of us- A good racer will pass you on any bike. Buy a 10r be done with it-what will really suck is after you dump the cash on a six and wish you would of spent 2k more for a 1000.

As far as leif being pulled by the other bikes- yea they have the low end torque which is a plus -but you also have to give the nod to the rider
    A hard part about spiral is weight transfer , being smooth, the entry line and keeping the bike in the best part of the powerband to pull out of the exit

12. +1 :301

13. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Yeah, but if you ever get tired of riding the 6! You can always hop on the 12! Thats the advantage of having both bikes! Its the best of both worlds!

14. cordodor

cordodor Retired

yeah, it's not like he will ever sell a bike... that's why he should get a middleweight. It's more of a distinct change from the 12.

15. For the record, I will never sell nor get rid of my 12.

16. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

My point exactly!!

17. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

just get it over with and get the 10. the 6's are goofy looking and sound like vacuum cleaners... :mrgreen:

18. cordodor

cordodor Retired

so get a pipe... besides the 10r's are gonna change next year anyways

19. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Whoa! He's throwing down the gauntlet! :eek:hhthedr:
    Are you Kawi fanboys gonna stand for that crap?!??!!?!!!!??!!!

20. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

KAWI'S SUCK. :mrgreen: