close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Tire Pressure Advice

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Jafar, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

took the bike to the track yesterday. unfortunately i had some air in the brake lines, so that hampered the feel on the front end, but regardless, the front felt, well, terrible (getto ben was making up time on me like crazy in the corners on his bike which is heavier): pushed the front once pretty bad and never had any confidence in it. never really got the front tire worked like the back, it looked like i was riding on the steet while the back tire was peeling and torn up right out to the edges like i would image it should.

i'm guessing that the 36 or so psi was too much in the Avon Pro's i ran, the back tire was around 37/38.

one guy at the track said i should be running closer to 30psi in each, any advice on that? is it specific to tire manufacturer?

2. Try 22psi front and 24-25 rear.

3. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

wow! where did you get this info?

4. Don't worry about it. :mrgreen: But I'm serious, try it and tell me what you think. I wouldn't suggest someone try something that could get them hurt.
    But like you said, it's about trusting your tires...if you don't feel comfortable trying that...DON'T! Different people run different psi on the track...my friends that used to race have suggested I run 18 and 22psi for track days....I thought I'd try a little above that, I did and LOVED it. I'd rather have more contact patch and have less of a chance of spinning up the rear when I'm not trying to. But again...to each his own.

5. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i think that with too little psi you might start turning differently. also, you'll wear through your tires a lot faster with lower psi. next track day i'm definately lower them to at most 30psi.

6. Oh yeah, you'll definately wear through tires faster, but that's the trade off for traction and confidence. But run what you feel comfortable. You asked what others ran...I replied. Hopefully that helped a little bit. Maybe somewhere in the middle would be best for ya.

7. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

those numbers seem really low, johnny. sounds more like for stunting than racing. all the other racers i've talked to recommend 30/30. also check and make sure your front suspension is setup right.

8. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i have the front suspension set up according to the specs in sportrider--a good start, at best.

JR, are you planning on doing any track days aside from the S100 soon?

9. On my 954 with Diablo Corsas I run 32/32 and get four track days out of a set. Pirelli reccomends 36-38psi. I personally wouldn't go much lower than I'm already running.

J

10. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

not until after the s100. got no time, and i don't think there are any organizations holding any between now and then, unless you want to go to spokane or portland.

11. Keep in mind you have centripedal forces (not centrifugal, long explanation) which will expand your tires at race speeds, which allows the lower pressures to function at race speeds. On the right tire, mid 20s will do you quite well.

E

12. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

So is that 30/30 cold or hot?

13. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

14. cordodor

cordodor Retired

always measure tire pressure on cold tires

15. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i'd go to spokane or portland for a track day. problem is, i don't want to be limited to 20min sessions every hour... considering i'd be paying $150 minimum. the way i remember it in spokane, you just showed up and payed $90 and did whatever you wanted for the day.