close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new tires with old tires...?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Jafar, May 30, 2005.

1. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

anyone have any experience/knowledge about the effect of putting a new rear tire on with an old front tire, or vice-versa? i've heard that its not a good idea and may upset the handling of the bike, which could be dangerous, i assume, when your pushing the bike hard.

i'm sure its not a big deal if your not pushing hard, but maybe. any comments?

2. I asked my mechanic that a few months ago and he said as long as the front is in good condition and you stick with the same model tire you should be fine for everyday riding.

3. +1

Same story here, always in the past one tire at a time, as long as brand and type are same, go for it.

E

4. cordodor

cordodor Retired

IF it's the same model of tire as the rear. if you buy a different tire for the rear, you should replace the front with the comparable model...

5. As they said above. I am actually on my third rear tire. After 10,000 miles I now need to replace my front. These are the stock 208s. Probably going to replace both with Diablos.

6. Loved my diablos, couldnt get any ordered here on the hilbilly side of the state so had to switch to pilot powers, still trying to fig them out. You will LOVE the pirellis!

E

7. I just replaced my rear tire last week b/c of a flat. It's the 2nd new rear to go with the front. I've had no problems at all with the new rear/old front combo.

8. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i went with a pair of Pilot Powers and they're some pretty sticky tires. the Diablos are rated very high though and since they own metzeler, so are the M1's

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

I don't know that uch about tires....so don't my word for anything, but here is the experience that I just had....

I caught a piece of glass with my rear tire and ended up with a pretty nasty flat on my 2001 600F4i. The tires that were on there were stock (or so I assume because the guy that I bought bike from claimed he never replaced them). So in the rear I went to a Pilot Power and stuck with my stock tire int he front. I have noticed that the bike turns so much better then it did before (also because the rear tire is more rounded without that flat strip in the middle). On my bike I had no problems pushing it hard and not having a problem with it handling when we flew out to Thompson Falls Montana and back. I would think that having tires that compliment each other is only going to improve the handling of the bike, but I don't necessarily think that it would be dangerous to have tires like mine are now (one stock and worn in and then a brand new one). But that is just my thoughts.