close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to riding... What to buy....

Discussion in 'New Users' started by Troa, Jan 21, 2012.

1. You need one of these babies.... if you can find one.

[​IMG]

2. +1 on 250cc for first bike. I ride an 1100cc Shadow, and until we sold it when we left Hawaii I used to borrow my wife's 250 Nighthawk all the time, because it was fun as hell. I'm a big dude, so it wasn't an ideal highway bike, but for going balls out on back roads the 250 is a blast. You can also generally get one dirt cheap, and since as a new rider you are more or less gaurenteed to put it down at least a couple of times my $.02 would be to get a cheap 250, take the MSF basic course with it, ride for a while. Take the MSF experienced rider course. Buy larger bike (if neccessary) and repeat.

Also, I weigh 235 lbs before I put my boots and leathers on and I can still get a 250cc to rock close to 70mph on the highway. And you get way better gas mileage on the 250.

YMMV

Michael

3. Thanks for clarifying. Yep, sumo is basically dirtbike with street wheels.

That genre is going to be my next bike...hands down...I need to find a SMC when I'm ready.

4. Yeah, what the hell. Just get an rc51. You want torque and a nasty throaty rumble? It's got a bit of that

5. Pm sent, gotta let you listen to the 650cc parallel twin.

6. Has anyone mentioned the sv650 yet? :mrgreen: Seriously, they're a great bike that won't intimidate a noob and can still entertain veteran riders. They're stone reliable and there's lots of parts avaliable if you happen to drop it. I prefer riding my sv more than my K1200S beemer around town and on twisty back roads. It's light, flickable, and FUN!

7. I really like the look of the front on the S model, but so far it seems like everyone is pushing towards the N. If it's cheaper to just get the s and throw some heli bars on vs. buying naked and redoing the front end, I may just do that. Other than the handlebars and front are there any other differences between the 2?

I like the sumo concept, but dont do much dirt riding anymore and this will be my work communter whenever possible so it has to handle freeways well. I am a bit turned off by the 250s because if im gonna be spending a decent amount of time on the freeway, I want the ability to outrun a maniac driver vs having a 250 wrung out with no ability to get out of the way.

I think I've got it down to either the SV or Ninja 650, leaning more towards the Suzuki because of local availability, plus I have a feeling i'm gonna like the v-twin sound over the parallel. Only one way to find out though!

8. Okay, so I found this doing a quick search, but I need some translation into lamens terms and/or what it means for me practically. I understand what the front fairing and dual headlights are, but dont know about rearsets, clipons, lowers, and what the difference in gearing/wheelbase means for me as a rider.

9. clip ons are handle bars. the S is lower and more sporty, while the N is higher. despite the intent, the N is actually fairly sporty.

rear sets are foot pegs. the S is higher and more sporty, while the N is lower. again, despite the intent...the N is fairly sporty.

what it amounts to is ergonomics.

the shorter wheelbase will make it a bit more turnable, however...you won't be able to tell the difference.

"lowers" are just the lower parts of the fairings. there are aftermarket lowers for the pre 2008 sv650s bikes, and after 2008 they come with the lowers installed.

no lowers:
    [​IMG]

with lowers:
    [​IMG]

10. R-Steve-R

R-Steve-R suzukigixxer

what ever your skills allow and what ever you like

11. Are the foot pegs adjustable/movable on the sv650s?

I dont mind swapping handle bars, but if i can do some modifications to get the foot pegs in the same place as the N to replicate the same riding position, i would rather just get the S.

12. oh, and are the lowers removable?

13. No. They are fixed in stock form. Its very easy to buy a set of rearsets, and those would you give you the ability to adjust the position of the pegs.

You may also be able to put N stock pegs on the S model. I don't know for sure about that though. I do know rearsets that are adjustable are available.

Absolutely. Just a few bolts.

If you like the front fairing on the S model, its almost always easier and cheaper to get the S model and change the riding position to a more neutral position then it is to take a N model and but the fairing on it.

If you havent looked, the fairings for the S model by themselves are pretty expensive.

14. Yea, someone here had mentioned the fairings can be pricey, and with all the rain we get around here, i feel like the larger fairing would be a huge plus.

I don't care if I have to go aftermarket to adjust my riding position to be more neutral, as long as it's possible. I know NOTHING about adjustability with bikes. I tweaked my Subie to just the right suspension characteristics to suit my driving style and I will probably end up doing a lot on whatever bike I buy as well. What can I say, I'm a tuner!

15. Yep, adjustability is a option for both handlebars and footpegs. There are always options. You can also have a professional shave and re-contour the seat the help with seat-height and comfort.

16. Get a Suzuki GSXR-750. It's the one you will always be dreaming about. It's too much horsepower, but you'll love it and always thank me for steering you clear of those boring 'me-too' v-twins.

17. cool. i've always enjoyed doing my own work on my car so I'll probably pick up a factory service manual and figure out how to do everything myself on the bike. ive been reading the sv650s have uncomfortable seats, but $250 for a new one doesnt sound too bad to me. i mean i spent 1700 on the turbo alone for my car so all these bikes mods are CHEAP in my book. lol

thanks... i wish i could dislike posts....

18. all gsxr's are over rated. so are european twins. niether of these are very desirable. any Yamaha will be.

19. Always so negative...

20. Texasl

Texasl Totally Charming Retired Moderator

The fairing will be a great plus if you are making any extended trips. Just that little bit of wind relief can add 200 miles of comfortable range to your day.