close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare motorcyle trip...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Gixxer1k04, Oct 25, 2004.

1. link here

Excerpt:
    I don't get why the experienced leader didn't say something to the squid before the ride turned tragic...

2. Wow! What a horror story. Something can always happen but the odds go way down if you eliminate/or add the important factors. (Is there a way to eliminate speed???

Didn't think so. :D

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

sounded like the heat had started getting to the rider, and caused him to lose his focus...

an unfortunate story, but another reminder of how responsible we need to be of ourselves and the people around us.

4. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

Heat and alcohol... a good mixture when you're kicking it in the tropics on a beach... but not while riding.

-Guff

5. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

Leather is cheap insurance. But speaking up and telling someone enough is invaluable.

6. Not being able to emergency brake because of ass hats following too close is the problem.... except for the dipshit that caused this accident this reminds me a little bit about the Brothers Speed incident... riding too closely together in traffic conditions that won't allow it...

7. Heat, beer and painkillers...yep I am ready to ride.

Congested traffic, inexperience and bad luck.

If this guy was watching him so closely why did he not notice what was 4 seconds ahead as well. Anticipation of the actions of this squid may have lead to more reaction time for him. This is why big groups with new riders and congested traffic do not mix.
    Watch your space and scan ahead it sounds like he was focused on the rider more than the road.

8. I'm curious what the author considers "full safety gear"? Not that a power ranger suit, mid calf boots, and a fullface would have prevented all injuries (or would ever be seen on anything but a sportbike), but the most I've ever seen a cruiser rider wear is chaps, "cowboy" boots, a leather vest, and a salad bowl... maybe the cool finger/knuckleless gloves.

It's a tragedy nonetheless and further solidifies my reasoning for riding in very small groups with people I know and trust. Had I been in his position, I would have either ditched out at a gas station or backed off and put as much distance as feasible between myself and him.

9. Another mandated helmet issue.......:devil:

10. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

Quite a write-up. Thanks for posting!

11. I maybe a little over zealous when it comes to this, but I do not drink and ride. Not one beer, not one shot no alcohol at all. If I am going to drink my bike stays parked.

I do not ride with people who drink and ride either. I will spilt off from them and let them know why.

12. cobra525

cobra525 WMRRA Sportsman of the year

Holy thread resurection batman

varment likes this.
  13. He is in the Navy. Im in the Army so it may be a little different. The Army requires full PPE(personal protective equipment) to be able to ride within military regs for safety. The Army requires the following: DOT Helmet, if not full face then eye protection is required, Jacket(leather not mandatory) Full Finger Gloves, long pants, over the ankle boots(most guys wear the standard issue boots) and a reflective belt or vest. If you are not wearing these things you cannot get on base, the MP's will ticket you, and you are subject to discipinary action if caught. Does eveyrone follow this, no because as soon as you leave the base who is going to say anything. THe biggest thing guys wont wear is the reflective strap, for obvious reasons. Hope that answers your question about the gear.

14. One other little penalty not mentioned, is that if you get in an accident and are not wearing any of the proscribed safety gear, the military can charge you for any medical expenses incurred. I never saw this happen when I was in, but I did see it written in several Command Policy Letters.

15. Yeah I was bored and wanted to see who would notice.... This is the oldest post that has anything relevant to today's current events....

This was also 6 years ago, the Army only recently in the last couple years cracked down on gear regs... Thats why I got the Power Trip Army Alpha Jacket... It has reflective panels that fold out for on post, and fold back in off post... Its officially licensed and meets the Army's safety standards.

[​IMG]

+1 These Regs and penalties apply to the National Guard as well.

16. Good post, even if it is six years old it still applies!

17. usmcgunnerm4

usmcgunnerm4 Washington (VA)

Does anyone else find this odd:

Why would they charge a dead guy?

Regardless, its a good write up to advocate safety. Gear does wonders, but it's up to the rider.

18. Skwrl

Skwrl Ninja Master

wow. :/, I dont know how I would deal with that.

19. Gusgus

Gusgus Thaumaturgist

Old advise but always good advise,,,,ride with friends, ride with people you know to ride safely and as you would ride. I am very picky about who I ride with, I have been at to many accidents and have found it is better to avoid troubled youth. (read this isn't about age, rather their mental maturity)

20. If there is a leader that fails to take action against someone doing ass-hat things in a group ride, start peeling off and go it on your own. If enough people do it, the lead may get the idea. You won't get tangled up with him if he goes down, or end up on the side of the road picking up him and bike pieces when you could be riding.

I peeled of a ride a long time ago because of this, and I had a great day of riding. Returned home, I learned he went down bad and tangled up with another rider.

Yeah, stupid hurts, but it can also hurt other people too.