close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Offer me advice

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by pmoy, Jul 5, 2005.

1. My buddy just laid down his first street bike after only owning it for 1 hour. It still runs :clap . Thank God! But he broke his a finger and banged his knee up bad.

Anyhow, the bike has an inverted gearbox/transmission or whatever. First gear is the highest position on the shifter rather than the lowest. Is this making sense? You click down to shift up on this bike. The original owner also put on a smaller or larger sproket to increase torque. I want to change these two items back to normal on his bike for him so when he gets back on he has an easier time learning.

Can someone give me advice as to how to make the transmission normal. I also would like to put the normal sproket back on but I don't know how to even begin to explain what is really modified. Any help would be appreciated and if anyone is bored and wants to do a little work on a bike let me know. If you didn't know I supply good beer to those who help with this.

2. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

He just flipped the bolt were the shifter bolts to the bike.
    Very simple fix. Sprocket, order an aftermarket one that goes back to the stock gearing. All this would take a newbe about 1-2hrs.

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

the shifting pattern he's got on is commonly called "gp" shifting. all you have to do is look at where the shift rod is connected from the pedal to the linkage. the linkage is the part that all you should have to do is flip over... i'll get pics later to show.

as for sprockets, all you should have to worry about is replacing the sprockets that've been modded. do you know what the previous owner had changed it to? look for the stock sprocket ratio online, count the teeth on the sprockets that are on the bike, and change appropriately, keeping in mind the chain. everything else should be golden.

4. Thanks for the advice...that is good news. To reconfigure the gearbox do I have to take off the left side fairing and what kind of a tool do I need?
    I guess I'll just try flipping the bolt backover...?

5. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

A SCREW DRIVER. no you dont need to take anything off.

6. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

shouldn't have to take any plastics off to switch the shifting back to normal. just the rod and the shift linkage, which all you'll need at most is a small wrench and a screwdriver...

7. God that's so relieving ... did i say thanks? THANKS!

8. Just a point of clarification. Some riders buy a "gp shift" kit that also includes a modified linkage that you might have to remove. (the gp shift mod is designed so that you can shift the bike at horrendous lean angles without getting your foot caught between the bike and the ground, thus some of them have a linkage that rides in a different position so it doesnt hang up on your toe like the flipped link mod above.) Generally an allen or screwdriver to remove it. What is the year/make/model? Some bikes in the 90s covered the linkage area with fairing (esp early CBR), so there might be a fairing interfering with your repair.

Any other help, dont hesitate to ask!

E

9. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

i said i was going to put up pictures, so... (this isn't my bike, btw)

you should have an arm similar to this in the same general area. just flip it over to go back and forth between normal and gp shifting...

[​IMG]

or if you have a setup more similar to this, with two shift rods instead of one, just flip the lower linkage over... (lower part of the image)

10. I'm going to print that out. So nice of you to show me visually what to do because obviously I'd be going into this with my thumb up my ass. :roll: