close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old Lewiston grade

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by Guideon72, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hey All...

I grew up over in the Palouse but I haven't been back that way in many, many moons and now I'm wondering...What sort of condition is the old Lewiston grade in in regards to bikes? I seem to recall it would be a great road if it was maintained but that it has deteriorated rather badly...

I may be heading out that way sometime in the near future to see my Pop down in the orchard.

Thanks!

2. cordodor

cordodor Retired

if you're talking about the spiral highway, it's still very well maintained and is a great road for riding. we rode it 3 times on wednesday

3. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

I give it 2 thumbs up, well aside from the decreasing radius corner that was missing a 8 foot section of guardrail halfway thru it :)

T

4. I graduated from Lewiston High School in 1968 and commuted daily on the old Spiral Hwy the summer of 1971 as I lived in Pullman and worked in the papermill in Lewiston. The Spiral Hwy. is a dream now compared to the old days because there is no constant travel of heavy trucks (usually chip trucks headed to the paper mill) tearing up the road surface. With all of the truck traffic on the new highway, you can now ride the old highway at speeds you would never have attempted 30+ years ago.
    See Daniel's post on some recent resurfacing at the bottom of the grade.