close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Radar Runs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Buz, May 3, 2005.

1. Just a thought now....
    What if---
    We had a rented radar gun--a flat chunk of land--and a couple folks who wanted to see what there trap speed was after two miles..
    Might just make for a good time.
    Not to mention a nice photo shot or two.
    I looked up rented radar guns on a search and there are plenty of them.
    I'll pick one up if others will kick in on it.
    Buz.. 8)

2. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

dang, i'd better get a new bike first.

3. How do the radar guns differ than just mounting a GPS to the bike and having it monitor highest "true speed."

On the infamous river run over by Clarkston, it is the only straightaway stretch where I have hit the governor, rather rev limiter, at the speedo-indicated 186mph. GPS that day showed me going a true speed of 171mph.

4. You could just measure out the distance and determine the speed via the time it took you to travel between two points... but then you'd have to do math!

5. OK first things first--new bike for jafar.. :D
    I have time today, lets go shopping!!!
    Next, i have two gps's and you can get a reading on your true speed with them yes--but.
    First you need to mount one in a position to get a good Sat. reading and at the same time a place you can read the thing wile in a full tuck going as fast as you can.

GPS also takes a couple seconds to update a reading, I know this from test runs in my boat.
    By the time you wait for an update on your bike at that speed you have a new zip code.

I thought the radar would be a little more on the safe side allowing the riders to concentrate on riding and allowing someone else to keep track of speed.

Not to mention with radar the numbers are right there for everyone to see as it happens.

As i mentioned there are several radars for rent on the web, I'm sure we could all decide on the one that would work the best.

One last thing as far as safety--- All bikes should be in race form for this.
    No half ass tires, make sure the ones you have are rated for the speed.
    Good brakes and drive chain/sprockets.
    Also all riders should be in full leathers with boots,gloves and a good helmet.

It would be nice if someone could record the event, I have no camera at this time.

Last but not least a spot we can set up and do this.
    This can be decided between the riders involved as to avoid posting the location and time on line for the local cops to read.. :shock:
    We can set up an area and cover it with cell phones and my police scanner as to the approach of law enforcement or other traffic.
    If we pick the right spot on the right day this should be minimal.

Right now i'm just looking to see how many of us would like to do this?
    Remember, It's not a race with anyone else.
    Just your chance to see what your bike does flat out and how close your spedo is to the radar gun at top end.

Any thought/input???
    Buz.. 8)
    PS Not to mention here is the chance for that new 12 to show it's stuff against these ol liter bikes Bean... :twisted:

6. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

GPS still is not 100% accurate. Radar would be the most accurate of them all!

7. I own a radar gun. If anybody in the spokane area wants to use it just drop me a pm and we can work something out.

8. You have a pm!!!!!

9. That sounds like a blast... but I can't even think of a spot that we could actually get away with it... for any long period of time that is.

I'd hate to have a bunch of people show up, get set up and only one or two bikes get to go...before 'One-time' shows!

But count me in! :twisted:

10. I dont know of any place you can go on the westside of the state, but on th eastside you can definitely go down to where the cliffs are at on the river run. That's where it's easiest to do all the high speed runs ya want...

11. Buz, the GPS that I have, Garmin Streetpilot III, records the highest speed for that day, so you don't have to look down at the GPS while doing 170+. You can check it when you're done.

12. thats the samething with my GPS. Record max speed view later

13. Thing with GPS or even a Sigma bike computer that I used to run is that there is a slight lag at measuring your speed and at over 100mph, the slight lag is quite large if you just run it up and then immediately slow down.

14. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

Leave it to BadBrad to have a radar gun. :lol:

I'm definitely interested... but as my motto has been for who knows how long now, "I need to get a job so I can pay for a new front tire and service." :cry: On the plus side, I have an interview tomorrow! :D

-Guff

15. Guff,

Good luck with the Interview!