close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Read up on new Washington state legislation...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Everybody should check these out and write their senators...

1176 - modification to RCW to allow lane splitting in congested areas:
    http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?year=2005&billnumber=1176

1258 - provision of preferential motorcycle parking:
    http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=1258&year=2005

5280 - provision for specific inclusion of a motorcycle awareness
    component in driver education:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2005-06/Htm/Bills/Senate Bills/5280.htm

Public hearings on 1258 and 1176 appear to be scheduled for Feb. 28th:
    http://www1.leg.wa.gov/Legislature/calendar/TR 02-28-05 3 30 PM.htm

2. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

It would be nice to sit in on something like this... will there be a post for the outcome of these?

-Guff

3. They've tried lane splitting before... last year it died early :(

4. They try it just about every year and it dies. I doubt it will ever get passed up here. To many crazy cagers that would try to take ya out if you tired it.

5. Guff

Most of the car drivers wouldn't even see you in the middle until you passed them as they are pretty oblivious to anything not against their ear or 5 inches from the rearview mirror... but those who did see you coming might just try to take you out... which makes about 1 in 50 drivers. :lol:

-Guff

6. In reality, how is this any different than the current situation? I'd say that most drivers still don't see motorcyclists now, and there are many that feel that they should not have to share the road with them. About the only people that truly respect riders are the ones that ride themselves.

7. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

i think lane splitting just got approved. anyone know?

8. Lane sharing in WA state approved!

BILL REQ. #: H-0722.1

HOUSE BILL 1176

By Representatives Morris, Dickerson and Upthegrove
    Read first time 01/18/2005. Referred to Committee on Transportation.

AN ACT Relating to operation of a motorcycle between traffic lanes; and amending RCW 46.61.608.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

Sec. 1 RCW 46.61.608 and 1975 c 62 s 46 are each amended to read as follows:
    (1) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This subsection shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.
    (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
    (3) Except during periods of traffic congestion, no person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
    (4) Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.
    (5) Subsections (2) and (3) of this section shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.

9. That is awesome! I can't wait to split on I-90 during rush hour, lol!

So, time line at this point is what, 90 days before it is actually law? June?

10. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

11. I believe it just passed committee and will need to be voted on by the house and senate and then signed by the "Governor " (if you can call her that). It's still a long ways out but I believe this is the first time it has something like this has passed committe so maybe there is hope

12. well, at least it didn't die in committee this year.

13. actually after reading it again it is in committee still "Read first time 01/18/2005. Referred to Committee on Transportation" and looking at the status of the bill it is in public hearing as of the 28th of feb. http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=1176&year=2005

If it passes committee which is a big if then it still has to pass both the house and senate and then be signed off by the so called governor :x before it becomes a LAW and not a BILL

14. Guff

Fingers crossed.

-Guff

15. Man if this goes all the way is going to be real sweet,and about time!

16. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

if it passes, will that mean that all my past lanesplitting sins shall be forgiven? or shall i still have carry the burden of my past lanesplitting immoralities, even though it has become legal?

what about having some sort of moto-confessional? hire a cycle-priest to confess our cycle-sins to. i have a lot of guilt i need to get off my back!

17. Guff

hehehe.... I think we all do.

-Guff

18. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

jesus, how long does it take to say "yes"...?