close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rear brake

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by beansbaxter, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Does anyone really ever use it? I seriously never touch my rear, I'm all front.

2. i use mine at low speeds and to settle the ass when banging corners

3. The rear brake is probably the best thing to use to stabalize the bike coming hard into a corner. The way to take a corner fast is to have your braking done before you hit the corner, then the bike also stabalizes once you roll on the throttle coming through and out of the corner. Also make sure you are in the right gear to bring the hp up. Especially riding a 600 since there isn't as much torque like a 1000 to pull you out of it. I usually run about 8000 through a corner, then rap it out to shift for higher speeds. You will be surprised the type of jump you can get coming out of a corner. I don't typically use my rear brake during normal (city driving ) unless I have to brake hard, or I'm on a hill starting out, use the rear to hold the bike until you get going. :mrgreen:

4. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

I've found myself using it when I'm riding in the twisties, I also use it to control the speed of the bike when I click it into neutral and sit on the back seat while going down hills :)

T

5. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

I think I probably use mine more than I should - I grew up riding dirtbikes, so it was all about the rear brake when I learned to ride. If I feel like I'm going a little too fast through a corner I'll lightly press it to slow myself down a bit. If I'm just cruising around, I use it quite a bit rolling up to stops, it makes the ride smoother I think. And if I'm really hauling and need all the braking power, I'll mash on both of them. I actually have to force myself to only use the front brake, I think most of the time I'm at least using a little bit of the rear at the same time. I'm honestly not sure it his is a good thing or a bad thing!

6. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

other than emergency brakes and stoplights, i'm not too into the rear brake, though i probably should find its potential...

7. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

I only use it while riding around town but thats always with the front.

8. I use it everytime I have to brake. It's especially useful when having to suddenly brake while in a turn, gives a little bit of stopping power that won't upset the bike, and also if it's a panic stop, a little more time to get the bike upright before using the front brake.

9. I use both quite a bit, it just depends on the situation.
    T

10. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

I do the standard 75/25 front/rear. However when I used to speed around, it was probably like a 90/10 ratio since I was always afraid of losing the backend.

11. in addition to what has already been said above... another good area to use it is when you turn onto dirt roads or making sharp turns on deepish gravel....I find it to be a much better option than the front...don't pull the clutch keep the throttle steady and just dab the rear brake.

or you can just gas it and spin it around that way. :)

12. what is a brake? :scratchea

13. i use my rear a lot more than i normally do when im giving my friend/gf/ex-gf/friends sister a ride. i can really feel the difference when i go to stop with someone on back.

14. I heard in Finley that this is all one and the same, true??

15. hahaha... like a doorknob baby!.... he seems a little confused as to what she is...must be convenience!

16. my gf, my ex-gf, and my friends little sister. 3 different people! i seem to remember the last time you were in finley you were the only one screaming.....bitch! :thefinge:

17. erickb

erickb Mr. PNW Riders 2007

I use my rear brake as often as my bike lets me which is seldom! I can't recall ever having to change rear brake pads, but many many front ones!

18. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i use mine... often i find myself just using the front, but im always covering it and often use it

19. God I hate finley.

20. I think the only time that i use the rear brake is when i am at a stop sign so i can sit up.