close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rear Rotor

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Beerbohm, May 10, 2005.

1. My rear rotor is possibly bent. Yes from the bike lock tip over dumb move of mine. Don't notice so much in low speed back braking but higher speed something is for sure wrong :( . Can you get those things turned or is it a better idea just to buy new? If new is the way to go and suggestions?

2. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

how often do you use your rear brake as it is? shouldn't be so dependent on it, bad habit. i'd buy a new one, though. bet you can find some on ebay for cheap.

3. What are you doing when you notice it? Give me the speed/place/situation and the exact sensation your getting from the bike. Id be really surprised if your rotor is assed, and if it is, they arent that spendy for the back one, its best to just ante up and get it replaced.

E

4. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

rear brakes! i'm not sure why race-bikes even have them, i'm sure there is some reason but its probably not because they slow the bike down better.... the only time i ever use mine is when i'm on a hill or sitting at an idle in traffic so i don't have to hold the front brake when i'm in neutral--oh yeah, and when my brake light switch on my front brake is broken.

5. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

go ebay and buy one for $40. Stock one.

6. Yeah, I don't know why you would have a bent rotor? But you never know...sometimes other bikes slide into you :lol:

Is your bike still under warranty?

7. any speed above 30 I can feel it. Its just a real quick tapping I can feel from my foot. I mostly use the rear brake in traffic or when I am sitting up with no hands.

8. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

There's people that don't use their rear brake at all....? Shows how much I know I guess...I've always done the 3/4 front 1/4 rear.

9. i usually try to average them out in town just so it saves my front brake a little more, but when i ride harder i forget i have a rear brake haha

10. cordodor

cordodor Retired

racers use them to balance out the weight distrobution of the bike. not for a whole lot of stopping power...

11. Front brake's for stoppin', rear brake is for steering and settling the suspension/drivetrain. Newer rotors are thin for weight saving and usually can't be turned and stay within specs for minimum thickness, especially if they're warped. Get a new one. Easy to replace with hand tools of you've got an afternoon and don't mind gettin' your hands dirty.
    CB

12. Yeah, I'd say replace. I use my rear brake a lot now since the SV's stock suspension is so soft. I find using the rear brake helps a lot with the dive in the front.