close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reverse shifting

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by beansbaxter, Apr 14, 2005.

1. It's real easy to set your bike up for reverse shifting. Just flip the bolt around and your good to go, free to do. Some people call it MotoGP style shifting, since that is how their race bikes are set up.

I have been using reverse shifting going onto my second season. I know a few other people who set their motos up that way. It's really not as bad as you may think, regarding re-learning to shift. Comes quite naturally, since it's easier to shift down when your flying through the gears.

Anyone else done this to their bike?

2. Really I didn't know you had a reverse shift. Never tried it but it I have been doing 1 down and however many up since I was 5 when I got my Yammiedog enduro 60.

I guess I am not ready for the MotoGP cause I think it would seriously screw with me.

3. I have read lots about doing this on Gixxer.com but I think it would mess me up just at the wrong time and cause me a huge wreck. I have intertained the thought only for making it easier shifting during wheelies.

4. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

cant do it with my 636, it hits the motor when reveresed.

5. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

can you adjust the angle of the shift lever so it doesn't touch?

it takes some getting used to, but pushing down to go up a gear is a lot easier than pulling up. what really sucks is when you get used to the reverse style, then ride someone's bike thats not set up that way. then, when your coming out of a turn and want to go up a gear, you accidentally go down = back tire locks up.

6. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i've seen aftermarket shift bars that are made for reverse shifting. You might be able to get one for your 636...

7. I find I gain most my "speed" (as ironic as it sounds) when downshifting and late-braking into turns, I have not tried reverse pattern but don't think I'd like it when backing it into a corner. But as Lovehate said, shifting during standups would be a little bit easier. Maybe I'll try it this summer for fun, we'll see.

8. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

it would be something to try, but NOT i'm changing before the summer, especially when i've gotta get prepped for the Seattle 100. at the end of that 225 miles, i'd be tired and would probably forget i had reverse shifting...

9. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

the one reason i remember hearing about why racers reverse the shifter, is that when coming out of a corner you won't catch your foot on the pavement trying to shift up. that makes a ton of sense considering when its reversed your foot need to be on top to shift up.

Matt Maladin, on the other hand, because of a foot injury, has his shifter set up standard street style. Doesn't slow him down a bit.

10. I've been using gp shift for about two years now and like it much better. Its actually not that bad to get used to. The biggest thing when you first do it is stopping then going again and not shifting screwing up first gear and going into second instead. Takes a couple hours but it comes real easy. Actually for me it seems more natural to stomp the gear when you are accelerating fast and then pulling up when you are braking. I'm betting if you try you won't go back.

11. Think I might try that set up and see how it works out. Would be funny as hell to watch someone trying to steal your bike lol...

12. Kevin Schwantz also won his Championship with a standard shift pattern. I don't think going the other way will make your bike faster. It's really all about setting the bike up for you and being comfortable with the controls.

Jafar, it's just like playing with yourself. If it feels good, continue doing it.

jwfzr likes this.
  13. I set all mine up with reverse shifting. The hawks are the easyest just add a vfr shifter and I lose 1 1\2 lbs:mfclap:

14. I have race pattern on the 00 R1 and love it. When I bought the 04 I ran it street and really noticed how much I liked reverse when coming out of corners. But it's not for everyone. Dan Wilson a very fast racer here in portland runs street on his bikes. So it's all in what feels good for you.

And not all bikes are as simple as flipping the arm, so check and make sure before removing anything.

15. gixxerjeff

gixxerjeff emw2k9 beer pong champions

ive rode a bike where it was reversed. wasnt bad, but i like being able to njust jam down the the lever to down shift when blasting into a corner.

16. liv4thekill

liv4thekill Mr. Lexus

GP pattern here - all bikes. Makes clutchless upshifts feel more natural.

17. anybody know of a solution to change a cbr929 to gp shift?

I'm getting used to it now on the race bike but it's messing with me going back and forth.

the honda won't clear the shift rod in gp shift.

18. Gp ftw. I definatley prefer gp shift and it's an easy 1 mintue job on my r6. Also it's fun watching the newbs like gixxerjeff try to figure out how to shift.:nana

19. buy a shiftr from a vfr install on 929