close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rip

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Ramage, Jul 7, 2005.

1. A cousin of a coworker died. He rode his Ninja from Spokane to his home in Seattle in one sitting. apparently he doesn't move at all when being on the bike because the autophsy stated that the cause of death was from an embolism.

The medical examiner thinks that while he riding he compressed a major artery in his thigh causing it to clot. when he got home he didn't feel well and drank a large glass of water and laid down the clot broke loose and caused a stroke. he was 31yoa

they found him an hour later dead on the couch with his gear still on.

R.I.P.

2. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

Sorry to hear that RIP...

3. Deep vein thrombosis can be fatal in many cases, must have been some contributing factors (low bp, low pulse, preexisting vascular disease, diabetes, etc etc etc) as being on a motorcycle is a strange place to clot. Sorry to hear...

E

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

sorry for the loss. rip.

5. thats sad to hear...hope the family is doing ok

6. hate to hear this... :cry:

7. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

That sucks. RIP

8. The medical examiner only has one problem with his diagnosis. A clot in the thigh will lead to a pulmonary embolism, not a stroke. The only way to get a stroke is to have a clot leave the left ventricle of the heart (usually from a clot that has developed on the mitral valve of the left ventricle). The left ventricle feeds the bodies venous system, it shoots blood up to the brain and down to the toes, returning blood back to the right ventricle which then shoots blood into the lungs in order to re-oxygenate the cells and give the left ventricle good oxygenated blood to circulate to the body again. If the clot develops in the venous system (the thigh) then the left ventricle pushes it from the thigh to the right ventricle which then pushes the clot into the tiny capillary bed in the lungs to get stuck and give someone an emergency situation with the lack of ability to breath sufficiently.

The examiner is right about one thing though. Long rides without movement put people at a much higher risk of developing clots, whether they are in a car or on a bike. One area of prevention can be to simply take an aspirin (it makes your platelets slippery and helps prevent them from clotting) before going on a long ride and make sure and stretch out every couple of hours. Also they tell tale signs of having a DVT is coolness in the affected area (usually the calf), a tingling feeling like your foot is falling asleep, and calf pain like your having one of those late night calf CRAMPS that hurt like hell. Listen to your body people and make sure you get yourself checked out if you start feeling symptoms after a very long ride. Off my soapbox now.
    T

9. That is good advice Wheelietime, I for one will be taking it on board as I do many long trips 2hr plus.
    Before I moved to southern Australia (Read speed limits) I lived in the Northern Territory, no speed restrictions, so down here I have found the same distance taking twice (and some) as long :evil:
    240km was the cruise speed, what's that in mile/hour 180???.
    anyhoo u remember the cannonball run???? about 12yrs ago it was held in the NT.
    Fast roads ands no cops :thefinge: mad shite :mrgreen: