close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Road Trip 2008 Oregon & N. California

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by R.W., Jun 26, 2008.

1. This past week four of us (RW-Goslow-Willow-Mikefsu) embarked on a 2,340 mile road trip to the best parts of Eastern Oregon, Central Oregon, Southern Oregon & Northern California. I've done a lot of road trips over the years but nothing has ever compared to this one, it was the combination of great friends and spectacular motorcycling roads that made this one stand out. Best of all their were no tickets and not even close to any get offs. A big huge thank you goes out to MJN & Speed Geek for the great Oregon roads they recomended that made this trip special...

Day 1 Bremerton to Baker City 531 miles

When riding to Eastern Oregon, it's almost mandatory to go through Carson and ride NF-25 and Wind River, here is a pic from our first break point at the McClellan overlook

[​IMG]

After stopping for lunch in "The Dalles" we just had to take a slight detour and ride the Rowena Loop

[​IMG]

Holy Hell, Now were having some fun!!!

[​IMG]

Taking in the local scene in Ukiah, 2 out of the 3 were packing heat because of the large amount of money that was being paid out for the mushroom harvest, before we were allowed to pump gas in the only gas station in town, we had to swear we were not liberals :)these guys were a kick in the pants and I'm not joking about there hatred for liberals

[​IMG]

After doing our best to tame one of our favorite roads on the trip, the Duc 848 took a rock through the radiator and we limped into Sumpter to find this scene in the middle of nowhere, wish we could have checked it out but we needed to get to Baker City to do a little MacGyver with J-B Weld..This stuff is amazing!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    maidenjade likes this.
  2. mjn

mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

Glad you guys had a great ride RW.. Lets see some more of those pics!!

3. JW

JW jasons_r1

Rite on, looks like a blast sucks i did not get to hang with you guys, but i did run up and down that rowena loop 3 times on the DR:ninja:

4. Day 2 Baker City to Yreka 545 miles

After applying a generous coat of JB Weld the night before to the Duc's radiator, the boyz begged me to wake them up extra early so we could check if the 848 would hold water :mrgreen: the tempory fix worked perfectly and we had the Duc put back together and back at the hotel by 7:30, here is a bad pic of the tempory fix

[​IMG]

Speed Geek recomended a great little place for breakfast in Austin Junction, so we saddled up and rode the 45 minute ride on 7, unfortunately we knew there was a huge bicycle race on Hwy 7 so we took it easy till we got past the lead group about 20 miles down the road, here is a pic of one of the best restaurants on the whole trip

[​IMG]

After railing some truly spectacular twistys for 3 or 4 hours, we changed the route a bit and decided to head to Northern California via Hwy 97, the 120 mile stretch on Hwy 97 to Klamath Falls after riding some of the greatest roads in Oregon was truly painful, this was really the only boring stretch of the whole trip but it still somehow managed to be the most talked about

[​IMG]

Mikefsu paying no attention to the sign and looking a little intense after Hwy 97 :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Hwy 66 Oregon :mfclap: Must say all of the reviews of this road are true, even though we felt a little cheated not being able to ride it the way we wanted at 7:30 p.m. looking directly and I mean directly into the sun

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  5. mjn

mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

:mfclap:
    Keep 'em comin'!

6. RVFR

RVFR Pilot in Command

Nice... very nice, yea, keep em coming please.

7. Great pictures, it looks like it was a blast!

8. Oly ZX

Oly ZX Daytime Adventure Seeker

Right on! Great pics and write up so far. Looking forward to the rest. 66 is a fun stretch of road for sure. Did you run Rowena a couple times? I could play there all day.

Mikefsu Welcome Back!

9. Day 3 Yreka to Eureka to Yreka 400 miles

This day started off with the group separating, Mike & Dave going with the original plan of Hwy 96, 299, 101 & 36 and me and Brad riding down to Redding for some new rubber and eventually meeting up again on Hwy 36. But the one thing I did learn is that a tire will go 90 miles with steel showing, let's just say I was glad to arrive in Redding :sweatingbullets: I'm still in shock that my sport touring tire (Road Attack) only went 3,400 miles so I promptly switched to a 2CT

[​IMG]

When we arrived in Redding, I thought it was hotter than hell to go along with the bad air quality from the fires, but Brad being the good christian man he is assured me that hell is much hotter :devil:

[​IMG]

The mandatory picture at the beginning of Hwy 36

[​IMG]

After not being able to do any real riding till after 1:00, me & Brad wasted no time scrubbing in the new tires and promptly got rid of the chicken strips on Hwy 36, a lot of roads you read about are overrated but Hwy 36 is not one of them, In a 80 mile stretch, we only seen approximately only 10-15 cars and no Leo's, it's just the perfect mixture of tight technacal twistys mixed with 90 mph sweepers, it's probably my favorite road of all time :mfclap:

[​IMG]

The group finally merged together around Mad River and started heading toward Hwy 3 via Hwy 36 again, the great thing about our group is we take turns leading because we all have similar paces & riding styles and know what to expect, the ride from Mad River back to Yreka on Hwy 36 & 3 are what motorcycling is all about to me, knee dragging good times!!!

Mad River

[​IMG]

Hwy 3 & 36 intersection

[​IMG]

Mandatory picture at Tops in Weaverville

[​IMG]

Hwy 3 :jerkit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  10. Essvar

Essvar ghetto-fabulous

I love my backyard :) Trips like this make me miss riding her :(

11. Thanks Brian it was an awesome trip that I was fortunate enough to be in town to go on:mrgreen: Rick did his homework along with some help from some very helpful PNW members:mfclap:

12. I guess I didn't realize how spoiled I was growing up on the western end of hwy 36. Was reminded a little last weekend as I was in a group that rode hwy 3 and part of 36. I know you guys had a great time cause I have ridden and driven 36 probably 200 times. Glad you are posting these pics. It lets others know about our sweet rides in southern OR and Nor Cal.:nana

13. RVFR

RVFR Pilot in Command

Great write up. Geez Rick you'd think that you would have known you would have needed a new tire before you left, good that you made it, could have been way worse huh? Okay I know theres more to come. Hot Damn, I like what I see.

14. Looks like you guys had a great time! Sorry I couldn't make it this run, but next time I'll try to make sure I have the time off for it!

15. The tire in question only had 2,200 miles on it and had plenty of thread when I left but that trip was hard on everybody's rear tires, I've never had a rear tire get less than 5,000 miles so I was quite shocked when we rolled into Yreka, besides we knew we could always call you no matter where we were and your trusty black Chevy would be there in a heartbeat...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  16. Yeah that VFR is hard on tires :ninja: While the RSVr seems to be very good to tires:mrgreen: 21,000 miles and just now needing to replace my second tire:evil4:

17. Oly ZX

Oly ZX Daytime Adventure Seeker

Rick, what do you think of the 2CT's?

36 is an incredible stretch of road!!! What did you think of the banked turns on hwy 3? drag elbows? pegs?:mrgreen:

18. Wow, what a trip...I haven't been brave enough to take one like that yet!! Glad you guys had a great time and made it back safe and sound. Road trips are the BEST!!!!

19. awesome pics guys. Mike!!!! glad your back bro. great pics fellas.

20. Ha! Those banked turns on Hwy 3 are a hoot, Those 2CT's stick like glue and gave me more feedback & feel than any street tire I've ever tried 8)