close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Road Trip 2008 Oregon & N. California

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by R.W., Jun 26, 2008.

1. +1

2. What, no pics of Bigfoot!? Great pics Rick! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I wish I could have joined you guys on this one. That pic of your rear tire is too funny:evil4:

3. Oly ZX

Oly ZX Daytime Adventure Seeker

Glad you like the 2CT's. IMHO they are a great tire. I still want to hit up 3 again to get pics of those corners. Next time I'm rubbing elbow:evil4:

4. Day 4 Yreka to Dean Indian Memorial Road to Crater Lake to Aufderheide to Madras 418 miles

It's hard to follow up riding Hwy 3 & 36 but this day came very close, for the first and only time on this trip, we scheduled a non motorcycle bliss type road and thought we would check out Crater Lake, I'm not usually one for checking out tourist type places but this lake had the most beautiful water I've ever seen. After taking in Crater Lake, we headed to one of our most anticipated stops on the road trip to check out Aufderheide, Oregons version of NF-25 but with better road conditions. Aufderheide "NF-19" was some of our groups favorite roads. It was also the first night we arrived at out motel room before dusk, the night included everything from $113.00 bar bills to WWE style wrestling :mfclap:

We spotted some squids at "Grandma House" in Yreka

[​IMG]

Thanks to the Medford section of this forum, I learned about Dead Indian Memorial Road, great 40 mile set of twistys on the way to Crater Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of many wonderful sights at the entrance to Crater Lake, I swear they hire all of the girls who work there on appearance :whistling:

[​IMG]

A Picture of Crater Lake, pictures don't do this lake justice

[​IMG]

Group picture of the bikes

[​IMG]

Of course there had to be a solo of the VFR

[​IMG]

After the 100 mile non stop ride to Oakridge, we took some of the locals advice and ate a great lunch at Mannings Cafe at the mouth of Aufderheide

[​IMG]

From the southern end of Aufderheide, I was thinking this road is overrated, it was narrow, dirty & over grown with brush & tree's, but after 15 miles of these conditions, the next 60 miles were pure bliss :mfclap: It reminded me of the 7 mile stretch of Wind River with it's perfect road conditions & ultimate knee dragging type corners, this road is a must do for any 2 wheel enthusiast

Picture from the beginning of Aufderheide

[​IMG]

Now were talking, it's go time!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Here are a few of my pics:

This was in Happy Camp via Hwy 96. The place where people don't look you in the eyes. Odds peeps here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smoke from the wildfires was thick. The pics don't do it any justice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hwy 36
    [​IMG]

Meeting up with R.W. and Willow after they got new tires in Redding. This is at they Hwy 36 & Hwy 3 turnoff
    [​IMG]

Weaverville gas stop
    [​IMG]

Very nice section of Hwy 3 so we stopped for some pics. It was tough not to cross the double yellows on the tight turns. I know Mike agrees! :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  7. RVFR

RVFR Pilot in Command

Nice, just down right great.. So this Aufderheide route is it IYO worth the trip by it's self if one just wanted to that? I've heard and read a good many things about this road, but of late I've also heard it's getting broken up like FS25 so?? Hmmm yea and the route around crater lake is a hoot, done it in a car can only imagine it would be great on thy Machine. Good job guys, was wonder what route you took home. Is there more??
    Oh on the tire thing, LOL if you like 2cs then you'd love Corsas.. ;)

8. Crater Lake pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few from just outside of Condon, OR. You can see 5 mountains from this viewpoint. It's unbelievable how desolate this area is. Only windfarms and wheat fields out here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I really enjoyed Aufderheide. It was probably 2nd best road we hit on this trip. NF52 out of Ukiah and Hwy 36 & 3 in CA were my other favorites.

Aufderheide reminded me much of St Helens but longer with less elevation change. The first 10-20 miles from the southend is bumpy, narrow with vegetation overhanging the road but then the road smooths out and it's all good. If you search Youtube there is a video out of some guys riding it last year.

10. Great pic's R.W.:mfclap: I'm suprized the Conti showed cords so soon. I read many glowing reviews about them and have a set on my bike currently. Hwy36 and 3 are awesome roads. If ya ever make it over to the N. Cal. coastline, check out the road from Legget to Ft. Bragg. If riding I-5, check out Gilman Rd. (a few miles north of Lake Shasta. Head east on Gilman. It's a nice twist bit of road roughly seventeen miles long in good condition all the way to the bridge):secret:.

11. Here's a few of my pictures. Rick will probably get Day 5 in there some time. :mrgreen:

Of course my solo picture too.
    [​IMG]

The group at Crater lake.
    [​IMG]

Taking pictures at the 5 mountain view point
    [​IMG]

What a great ride and memories.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  12. Awesome pictures!! Looks like a blast....

Brad, I'm lovin the Ducati!

Glad you guys had fun!

13. Aufderheide is an awesome 60 miles of pure corner carving fun, but since it's directly in the middle of Oregon, it should be mixed with a Eastern Oregon route or a trip to Norcal to make the trip worth it IMO

Thanks for the road tips, I've read about the Legget route on Pashnit but I had no idea about Gilman Rd so your post is very much appreciated, as far as the Conti's goes, that was my 4th Conti rear tire I put on the VFR, I have nothing but praise for the Road Attack because the first three lasted over 5,000 miles and I never felt it let me down, the main reason I went with a sport-touring tire is because of the mileage, that's why I was disappointed when we rolled into Yreka with 3,300 miles and it had steel showing, It was a combination of Eastern Oregon roads, warm asphalt, high speeds, 225lb rider and extremely loaded down tail bag that caused the road attack to die prematurely...

I'll probably get day 5 up Sunday morning, I've been extremely busy at work...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  14. Day 5 Madras to Fossil to Bremerton 418 miles

Since day 4 was the first night we was actually in our room before 9:00 p.m., we decided to make this night in Madras our party night, so day 5 actually started with 3 of the 4 of us still in the local bar. The next morning with everybody but Brad waking up with mild hangovers, the 848 lead the group through the Fossil region and rode like a man possessed, it was go time all the way from 293 to Condon without a single break :mfclap: After making our way to "The Dalles" for lunch, it was time to re visit Wind River & Curly Creek for one last bit of true corner carving before making our way back to Woodland on 503. After waving goodbye to Dave who was staying in Longview, it was slabbing time for the Kitsap boyz back to Bremerton to conclude one of the greatest trips of all time.

Big bad navy bully provoking late night drunken brawl with innocent old man :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

80 miles of roads like this

[​IMG]

Damn that went by fast! Getting our bearings in Condon

[​IMG]

After 9 month's in Afghanistan, this Pole started looking good to Mikefsu :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

One last picture of the group from the Road Trip, from left to Right- ( Brad "Willow" ) (Mike "Mikefsu" ) ( Rick "RW" ) (Dave "Goslow" ) see ya in 2009 from Idaho, Wyoming & Montana:mfclap:

[​IMG]

15. RVFR

RVFR Pilot in Command

That was a Sweet write up Rick, Nice job, thanks for posting that up.. Now who's who in that last photo? :scratchea 8) Boy does this get my mouth watering for next years huge ride...

16. dreamy.com that shit looked like a total blast and quite frankly I is jealous

17. I am no bully:evil4: And I do not recall any such hangover:evil4:

And the pole was there and it looked really lonely:tard:

I will definitely be up for any other rides you come up with Rick:mfclap:

18. Nice to hear that all went well. Stories and photos are great. Makes me want to form my own group again. Most of my friends have stopped riding. Look forward to your 09 excursion too.

19. Road trips, yay, my favorite!!!

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

20. Damn those picture spots look familiar. ;)

Only place we didnt hit up, because it was too early (june) was Crater lake...

We were met with this instead...........

IN JUNE. Yep, thats snow.

[​IMG]

btw......... how did u guys like this little stretch before the lake turn off :ninja:

[​IMG]