close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shift?

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Beerbohm, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I was curious how bad is it to "dry shift" (no clutch). I have heard there is no harm and then I have heard that its a bad idea. Comments???

2. Personal experieance and what I have heard most from others:
    If done right, dry up-shifting is better than wet, but do not down shift without the clutch.

3. Yep... what Silverdawg said!

4. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i dont upshift w/o clutch from 1st-2nd, but from there, it's smoother than with the clutch. downshifting w/o is pointless but doable...

5. Beerbohm we dont care about your bike so this is what I want you to do....only use your clutch when starting from a dead stop. After you get rolling just shift as hard as you can,when down shifting just smash it down...try that for a while and then tell us what happens....oh yeah i will not pay for any damage that you may cause to your scooter....

6. Just dont shift. Stay in first everywhere you go.

7. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Why does he have to use his clutch when he's stopped? Just open the throttle up w/ the engine off, then turn the key and hit the start button! Kill it at every stop light, then do it again!

8. Why stop. just close you eyes and keep going.

9. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

You can shift up with out your clutch, but sure your in higher r's. Let off the throttle a hair and click. Down shifting, unless you've gots a slipper clutch, use your clutch.

Not using your clutch when upshifting makes it much smoother, get good at it, and is really nice when your packing the ladies on the back.

10. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

No way man, you don't want a smooth ride when the ladies are on the back; they have to hold on tighter if its a little rough.

huh huh the ladies like it rough huh huh huh mmm huh!

11. whips: :sex: :sign10: :fallinga:

12. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

racers/track riders rarely pull in the clutch to shift up. takes too much time and can add several seconds to someone's lap time. shifting down without the clutch is also done, but people have different preferences as doing so can be unpredictable and cause a lot of weaving from the rear end...

13. Just be safe and push your bike. It looks kewler anyway.

14. ya'll gonna make me lose my mind up in here, up in here.

15. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

Y'all go make me go all out, up in here, up in here.

16. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

i found that it works best if you apply left-foot pressure to the shifter before shifting, then when you want to shift just slightly let off the gas, not all the way, and it will slide nicely into gear. of course, it works better the harder your accelerating, and it helps out a lot to have some good oil in your tranny and clutch.

many racers have ignition cut-offs on their shifter, so it slightly cuts power to the engine when they shift up, so they never get off the gas. i think some racers have a similar system for down-shifting, too. not 100% on that, though.

17. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

aka "quick shifter"...

18. Thanks for the info.. 1000 you know right were you can lick me right, if not I will show you on your g-friend love ya.