close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stoppies

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by Beerbohm, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Aside from practice. Any tips tricks or advice on getting that back tire up. I did one a long time ago on accident and would like to learn how to do one on purpose and not look like a jack@$$.

2. Lemme know when ya wanna go out and practice, Its not the hardest thing but takes a little touch. Im just now starting to get the hang of them on the big bike (its so damn long!) but we could do a little work, practice up!

E

3. Even if you develop good technique, you won't be doing anything except sliding (the front) unless you have warm tires, clean pavement, and warm brakes. It always helps for your first couple of the day to ride a short distance (maybe a couple hundred feet) while riding the front brake. This will get your brakes warm. And as ironic as it sounds, it's sort-of like wheelies, the faster you go, the smoother and "easier" it will be to ride them out. For a good technical discription...go to the "how to's" link at the top of www.uponone.com they'll walk you through the process.

4. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

riding your brakes while rolling? sounds like a good way to glaze them over...

5. ok, don't RIDE your breaks for a mile! Or just forget I said ride them all together, just USE them enough to get them warm...then proceed.

6. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

First two things you need to get for safety reasons! Get a steering damper so your front end wont fold up on you. Then get some braided steel brake lines, there alot touchier. You get a better feel for the bike picking up that way.

After that, when yor rolling up to a stop slide forward up into the gas tank as far forward as possible, squeze wtih your legs so you dont go anywhere. Keep your feet on the pegs tell right before you come back to the ground.

Like Eric "fighterama" said, best thing to do, is go with another person or two. Watch them and apply it to yourself. Last i knew Eric was doing alright with his stoppies.

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a 12 doing a stoppie:

[​IMG]

8. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

AND he is also flying off the bike at the same time!!!

9. I dont have a damper or braided lines, but she still comes up pretty easily. (damper helps the speed wobbles, not really gonna decelerate wheel movements with 600lbs on it) John also made a good point inadvertently... by riding your brakes a bit the friction between the decelerating front tire and the pavement will get your rubber warmed nicely as well.

E

10. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

The reason you want the damper and braided lines, is if your gonna do a real stoppie and carry it while your rolling. Anybody can do a fake stoppie when you stop, dont need anything to do that.

11. Steering damper is a good idea but not neccessarily something to buy right off the bat. Get new brake pads first, practice, practice, and practice...then maybe some steel braided lines, then when you're rolling them for a 100-200 ft, you should look into a steering damper. I would suggest though if you're gonna get serious about stunting, buy a crash cage, mine is from "905 racing", they'll save you $$ in the long run. And its smartest to stunt on a second bike, you don't want to thrash your daily driver, and believe me, if you want to get good, you'll be thrashing your bike.

As for technique, it's gonna be easier seen than read on the internet.

12. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

Nice pics beans... looks like the guy in the last photo mod'd his bike to have an ejection seat.

-Guff

13. .

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  14. Get going 30-35 MPH and then grab a hand full of brake. The back will come up with no problem. Soon as it does let go until your start getting comfortable with it. As you get more practice you will find that you can get the back up pretty high and still not be close to going over. Here is the trick, just like a wheelie you need to find the balance point for your bike. Its differnet for every bike. When you get the back up and hit this point you will see its kinda effortless but scary. Too much brake and you go over, to little and your back is coming back down. To keep it going you need speed and a very quick finger applying and letting go of the brake. Keep practicing and you will get better but it takes a lot of skill. Addittionally stoppies are very hard on your forks and steering colum. If you do them enough you will start to see some play in the steering colum and there really is no fix to this. Hope it helps.

15. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

grab a handfull of front brake and hump the tank :)

T`

16. [​IMG]

17. If you are wise, you'll get a GOOD ADJUSTABLE steering damper before you go trying to roll a stoppie. If you reach the balance point without a very stiff damper, you are begging to get a tank slapper which will put you on your lid every time!

As said, to roll a stoppie takes lots of practice. Gradually work your way up from a foot high to a rolling balanced stoppie. Rushing the process may put you on your head.

18. you still ride? :nana

19. clinty poo

clinty poo vrrooom636

My boy Kelin rolls 100+ feet stoppies with no dampner on his 05 636.. I could do about 50 feet on my 636 with no dampner.. Just gotta get a feel for it.. START SMALL. On my KTM the longest I've rolled is 90ish feet.. 65 MPH and then up onto the front tire.. Just start small thats the main thing. If you have the go big or go home attitude you'll be going to the hospital haha.. I love stoppies, they are by far my favorite thing to do on a bike. Just play with the brake and start bringing up the tire by grabbing a little bit of brake.. Just work your way up and once you start getting em pretty high start practicing letting out the brake slowly..