close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

summer gear

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Blackstar, May 27, 2005.

1. ok just got all of my gear and i was perfectly happy....then the weather got nice. i have a pair of the Joe Roket Ballistic 5.0 pants and feel that i am going to suffer a heat stroke on these warm days. I'm heading back to Cali for a week at the end of June and i feel sketchy about rolling in just jeans. So here's the question.....who makes a good pair of well ventelated pants? I'm 6'4" so they need to have at least a 34" inseam....thanks in advance

2. Dragginjeans .com I think thats how its spelled.

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

my astars track pants work well... ventilated crotch and i'm all happy (who wouldn't be with all that air down there?).

4. Yeah your best bet is dragginjeans.com ...they make very good jeans. I own a pair and am pretty satisfied with them. They will save your butt from getting burned off. They arent too pricey either ($90 or so)

5. I like my skin, so I went vanson perf motard pants from www.newenough.com. Very nice pant, all front surfaces are perf, crotch and backs of knees are stretch high density nylon for protection. I highly reccomend them

E

6. I know that I'm in the minority but I always wear leathers even in the hottest days of summer - the old adage "dress for the crash not the ride" hold true in any weather any time - you never know when a deer or a driver or ( in my case ) a turkey will jump in front of your bike and throw your ass off - at 90 mph nothing will protect you like leather - that's the reason that's the only thing the racers wear - despite all the move to textiles (price) leather is the only protection you have - yes it's hot when it gets to be 90 degrees but you feel safe and you ride better - so without this sounding like a lecture - wear the best boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet you can get your hands on and wear them always - I've seen guys go three blocks from their homes going only 40 mph dump their bike and break bones and have to have sking grafts - with leathers they'd maybe been bruised a bit but that would be it - In fact if you read the literature your body tempature all closed up will keep you cooler than wearing protective gear than having all that persperation evaporate and dehydrate you - drink plenty of water and stay bundled up -
    End of sermon -
    Steve

7. +1 on Steve's comments....
    I hear lots of "Aren't those hot?" To which I reply, I'd rather be hot than risk losing my skin. After all, I'm kind of attached to it crackup:

8. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

yeah. saw a chicken on the side of the road this weekend. considered it a "squishable," though.

and agreed on the leathers all the time thing. i don't feel normal riding in jeans and shoes anymore...

9. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i wear my same gear in the summer time. If it's hot under that leather jacket, just soak your t-shirt and you've got an instant swamp cooler inside your jacket with the wind blowing up your sleeves. Works great!

10. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

the girls should definitely do the wet t-shirt thing... :mrgreen:

11. I get the "isn't that hot?" all the time and I simply say - nope - and I mean it too - because I always dress for the crash and not the ride - and that keeps me cool -

Steve

12. Shwaa

Shwaa Retired

Underarmour works well too. Keeps you cool on hot days and warm on cold ones. I wear First Gear HT air over pants over my jeans and they keep me relatively cool on hot days. Nothing beats full leathers though.

13. how do you like your overpants? I have a meshtex jacket and I have been thinking about picking up a set of the pants.

14. Shwaa

Shwaa Retired

The overpants are great. It has a zip in liner that's water proof and they fit over jeans or even dress pants. I have armour at the knees and hips. I've never tested them out (thank God) but they seem sturdy enough. Better than just plain jeans or kakis though.

josh