close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tar snake regulations.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by valgal, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Hello, I am new here. I have not signed up until now because I am so active on a couple of other forums and haven't too much time. But I am hopeful that some one can help me with some information.

The town I live next to is repairing cracks and now the road into town is like running a gauntlet of tar snakes. Except they are not just snakes, they are more like pythons that just ate a goat or two. :shock:

Seriously there are areas of a couple of car lengths that are 6 to 12 inches wide by my estimation. Then there are other areas that look like lace of tar on top of the road covering the entire lane.

It is my understanding that some states have regulations against use of tar more than 2 inches wide.

Does anyone know what the regulations are in Washington State?

Also I understand there is one state senator that is very proactive towards motorcycle safety. I can not remember who he is. I'd appreciate anyone who knows who this Senator is to post his name.

I would like to take pictures and measurements and send them to him.

Thanks,

Val

2. welcome: val, glad to have ya!

I thought the two inches wide rule was also true, unless of course they are repaving the road altogether.

I'm sure someone here can confirm and support this though??

3. Djoplin

Djoplin Investigates Alternative Destinations

I wish!! Don't know about any set size for the damn things. One of the bridges that I cross daily is zig-zagged with them all over the place. I don't think there's any plan to repave it anytime soon either.

4. I bet it is that bridge between Jones Road and 169.

Anyway I think you too should take pictures and find out who to talk to.

I have contacted Public Works of Issaquah this AM. Of course, I just left a message.

I am hoping they plan to pave over, but why would they lay tar snakes before paving over?

Val

5. I worked with the PWD in Issaquah for a few years. It should not be spreading that much. If it is, it was an installation problem. Likely too much tar and in the hot sun it spread widely. They typically require the contractor to redo it if it is too bad. It's the PW Operations Department that takes care of these things for regular maintenance.

6. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

Yeah, if what you said about the pro-rider senator is true, that would be a good address to know...

7. SilverDawg, head out Front street to Issaquah Hobart Road and head out of town, if you have some time and give me your opinion of this. It starts at the light by the Boehm pool and continues almost to the end of the city limits. They aren't done yet.

I think it is excessive but I am a newbie. I asked my husband if I noticed it because it was over the top or because I am a new rider and he thought it was too much but that I wouldn't have given it a second thought had I not been a motorcycle rider.

What is your opinion of current PW Dept in Issaquah, will they call me back? Will they be receptive to a polite conversation on this matter?

8. Djoplin

Actually, it's the bridge on 169, just before 140th. They're makin' a new bridge to Jones rd as we speak. In fact you cannot get to thu from 169 to 156th/Jones RD right now and if you go down to the other new bridge to Jones road it's a dead end. Gotta go around to 405/900 or cemetary hill, to get up to the Highlands. Which really sucks. The gym that I go to is up there. Haven't been since they shut it down. Cool thing about it though, the new bridge is right out my front door. Well I guess that gives ya an idea about where I live don't it!!

9. That's OK I am a relatively benign entity. It is the lurkers you must worry about :evil:

My kid lost a right mirror on that bridge to the cage; allegedly a big truck was in his lane and forced him over. Oh well.

How is riding 169 during rush hour traffic? I have a private duty case up in Fairwood and am thinking of riding the motorcycle to work but it looks treachorous for a newbie. Would you recommend it?

Val

10. Djoplin

If you're coming from 405, there's almost no traffic. If you have to come in from Maple Valley it can be a bear. Mainly right when you get to 140th. It's usually bumper to bumper all the way to 405. Usually about 5-10 mph the whole way to 405. When coming from the valley it won't be bad til ya get to 140th though. So I really don't see a problem either way. The turn lane there is good, just have to watch the traffic coming the other way. They don't have to stop going up 140th. It's a merging turn. So ya just have to make sure and stay in your lane. 140th going up to Fairwood is a very nice newer road. Plenty wide 2 lane in each direction.

I just checked your location. If you come in from Issaquah I don't think you'll have any problem. Come in Cedar Grove to 169 to 140th. Lights at every turn. Even early in the AM it's not bad. Like I said, til ya hit 140th. You'll be going up the hill there so you won't have to deal with too much traffic. Watch the gravel at the intersection of Cedar Grove and 169. There's been a lot of gravel trucks frequenting the hwy and I think there some gravel just outside the traveled lanes.

11. Yeah, its those trucks I worry about.

I would turn and go up the hill at 140th.

As I said, I am new to this. We bought our bikes in April and took the MSF in June.

So far my rides have been limited to going into Issaquah, out I-H road to Four Corners and Black Diamond and the surrounding area, and May Valley Road to Briarwood area.

I am taking this whole process slow.

I hit gravel for the first time yesterday. I treat gravel like I used to treat blue ice when skiing back east. It is not the time to panick or try to slow down or stop, just ride it out, grippy pavement is soon ahead......

12. Djoplin

I really don't think it'll be a problem. There's not a lot of gravel. Usually kept pretty clean by traffic at the one intersection. Just don't get too far off to the side making the turn, you'll be fine. I rode out that way yesterday and it wasn't bad. Cedar Grove Rd is actually pretty nice too.