close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Pace

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Dr. E, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Always a good article to read.

2. Just ordered the book as well as Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2, Smooth Riding Reg Pridmore, and another I dont remember the name of. Knowledge is half the battle for someone like me not born with natural ability.

3. People who can do "The Pace" well are usually much faster than the spaz who is either on the gas or on the brakes all the time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Bump, for a great thread that IMHO is a must read for new riders.

5. no doubt that i is too long, but it is worth reading. i appreciate you for posting it, a very useful content.

6. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Thanks for the spam jackoff.

7. you rang?...... oh wait

8. Well said. This was very informative, thanks for posting this. This is exactly the mentality I have going on rides

9. Definitely a must read for new riders

10. another good idea for new riders: (posting here because the new location may be more convienient for many)

New Rider's Ride

11. As much as I'd like to consider myself a seasoned rider I know I am everything but. I've ridden every day for 18 months now and I've grown quite comfortable riding by myself and enjoying the twisties in my free time. But this article has opened my eyes to a whole new idea of what I thought sport riding was. Which for a teenage mind is pretty simple. Go as fast as you can for as long as you can. When you see another rider, always be the first person to the red lights.

I found the limits of my 450 very quickly and became very comfortable with its speed. The engine screaming, in a tight tuck, and when a corner comes, hurl yourself over as close to the ground and off the bike as you can get just to feel that much more like Valentino Rossi.

I became so comfortable that I got bored. I thought the only way to have more fun was to go faster. So I got a 750. I learned quickly that with great power comes great responsibility. I found that when I grab a handful of throttle, I quickly find my bike in control and me just along for the ride. Sure I could pass everyone in the left lane with the speedo reading "fast" but after a few times of doing that I asked myself "who's in control here. Because you sure aren't. If a deer runs in the road or you need to stop, what then?" I knew something wasn't right.

With that in the back of my mind I went on my first real group ride. The polar bear run 2014. 25+ sport riders all carving through twisties made me really want to show off my "riding ability". I braked late, leaned far and gunned it on the straights.. But I noticed myself falling behind in the corners and blowing passed on the straights. I thought this was so odd. I got the feeling nobody was racing. Which on a spirited sport ride just felt like a foreign language to me. We'd pull over for a break and I could hear people reminiscing about certain corners, bragging about this and complimenting others on that. I couldn't help but feel a little disconnected from the group. Like there was something I was missing out on.

So I read this article. EVERYTHING MAKES PERFECT SENSE NOW! This article puts me in a completely different mindset of riding solo and in groups. I see now that it's not about how fast you get in and out of a corner or down a straight, it's about enjoying the time you spend going through them. I firmly believe this article has not only prolonged my future in riding but will increase my enjoyment and skill while on road by myself and with friends.

Thank you to OP and thank you to the author. I am forever in your debt.

12. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

I was on that group ride.....this puts a smile on my face. :mrgreen:

13. Dr. E

Dr. E Theoretical Propagandist

Always good to see this get a bump each year, the author was spot on in his writings!

14. Great read, will be reading this again and again thank you!

15. Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Copy/paste it into a pdf, and word document and save on your computer for future rading

17. Ienatsch used to have a great MC show on KPFK as well. Wash the car while listening to Car Talk, then wash the bike listening the the MC show then ride around SoCal.

You would see them on Ortega almost every weekend. Anyone who thinks "The Pace" is slow is clueless.

Why is it you never know how good you have it until well after the fact?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  18. I have never read this before but wish I would have. Great post!