close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is why one could like a motorcycle...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Oct 8, 2004.

1. This is why one could like a motorcycle...

Let's start out by admitting that I'm a big Ducati fan. To own a Ducati has always seemed like dating a high-strung, disloyal, supermodel who expects to be pampered and lavished with expensive gifts. (We'll just pretend here that I know what the supermodel dating game is like.) It takes a lot of money and effort to keep her happy, but when she's happy, the sex is great. Unfortunately, the few periods of great sex are separated by frequent visits to the shop for expensive maintenance or repairs. Every time she refuses to start, or just stops running half way to wherever, it's like catching her cheating on me with my mechanic.

Pro's to owning a Ducati:
    1-Ducati's simply kick ass.
    2-Dedicated riding position eliminates posers.

Cons to owning a Ducati:
    1-Expensive membership.
    2-"Good afternoon officer."

2. jwfzr

jwfzr Two Wheel Art

I've tried to understand peoples lust for Duc's. I just don't get it I guess? I have to admit that the original 916, up until the new version was a beautiful bike. The only reason they kicked butt was because of the rules that were benificial to Ducati. O.k. I can see the arguements for the rules,but it's almost like the Harley craze thats been going on for the last 20 years, that whole thing is a complete mystery to me. At least the Ducati has had cutting edge tech. no I think I was raised on practicality. The way I've seen it the Japanese have been building the most competent bikes since the original cb750. I know I'm missing the point on the Ducati lust thing but that's just me. O.K. I'm done. Oh, by the way I've seen many Ducati posers. Just my 2cents.

3. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

Going to say I'm with you... The 916 is a beautiful bike... and if I had the money I would buy it for that reason alone... it's more than just a motorcycle, it's a work of art. But, based on practicality alone, I probably will never own one. If I spend 13-18k on a bike, it had best not be in the shop more than it's on the road! :wink:

-Guff

4. A reminder as my motorcycle(s) are in the shop at the moment...

5. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

[​IMG]

Knock on wood...my Ducati always has been good to me.

If it's legal in Washington with horses...I wonder if the same is true for Ducati's. WAIT: Let's not go there. :scratchea

6. I didnt want another repliracer when I got mine. What I learned later is the miracle that is a trellis frame. Ive ridden most of the jap bikes of various vintages and while they do have better turn in, they lack the complete stability that my 748 has. Pitch it into a corner a little out of shape, she will come back to you. Get in a little late, trail brake all day, it doesnt care. Pin the throttle, she comes out sliding comfortably without scariness. Alot of the mystique is the marque and rareness, but the chassis makes the bike. I cant hang in a straight line with any supersport bike, but damnit the thing is amazing in a turn.

E

7. I thought you were getting one back today... What happened?

8. :evil3: Girls love guys with BIG Duc's :nana

9. I had no problems with my 02-ST4s until that idiot pulled a U-Turn in front of the techie taking it for a test spin. :cry:

10. I like my Ducs because they are different. There is no way I could ride it to it's potential....

11. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

+1

It just takes me longer to get there.

12. eric

eric Slow Eric

I just don't know.

13. Rubber ducky, you're the one.... you make bathtime lots o' fun! crackup:

14. What the hell is this? Dig up old threads day?

15. hello thread number 34

16. Shrek X

Shrek X Mr. 500,000

that's exactly what I see. they have a similar prestige to them, but typically they are not ridden the way they were designed to be ridden, a lot of people with to much money, to little brains, and no skill buying them. just look at all the new ducs you see being sold, crashed.... its, unfortunately, becoming a poser bike... kinda like a Ferrari, or, like the supermodel, you can ride it, but don't spank it or pull its hair!

17. GixxerPete

GixxerPete Forum Synopsizer

This is hardly true, as the majority of people who ride Ducatis ARE posers. Besides, the riding position on a Ducati is no more or less dedicated than any other SS bike.

18. GixxerPete

GixxerPete Forum Synopsizer

Another +1

I've also greatly resented Ducati for their blatant influence in WSB racing and constantly getting the rules tweaked so their outdated, inefficient 50s engine design can be competitive with inlines. Sorry but if one brand of bike has to have an advantage, or the other brands handicapped, something is very wrong with that picture.

19. the chemist

the chemist ducatiduane

Oh yes it is....

The only way I can think of it is to describe it like motorcycle riding. To a cager, they dont get why we love it so much. They dont understand why we call in sick from work, skip school, miss our girlfriends birthdays to go ride. They dont get what the passion is all about. And, other than the fact that WE like it, its completly unpractical.

For some of us its Suzuki, some it doesnt matter, others its Ducati. I am comitted 100% to my duc, regardless of what she puts me through. I dont think theres a way to just explain why people like Ducatis, just like theres no way to explain a specific reason why we ALL like riding. Its just that, we do. Unpractical as it may be, our beautiful Italian women will always give us pleasure.

20. Yep, because the weather sucks today. :banghead: