close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is why we need Lane Splitting!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Jun 18, 2005.

1. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

i think that was san diego ca i5. man i did that shit in LA and man that shit is not that fun at all. if u F up your going to eat shit bad.

2. I like how the rider took the inside corner with that Mercedez

3. Yeah I give him an A+ for asshat on that one. That guy rode like a douche. Really makes me glad I don't live in Cali though, those highways look like hell to me.

4. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

I took a trip to Cali a couple of years ago and did some of that stuff. I agree with lcf entirely. There's more of a rush from fear than fun...you are ENTIRELY at the mercy of drivers, and on lousy roads too boot like Raevyn said. Other than that, it's not too difficult. I kept waiting for the guy in the video to speed up. I was only down there a few days and I was doing 60-70 easy down the center (while traffic was moving, not stopped...30-40 when stopped). I'm one of the tamest riders out there.

That Mercedes corner was pretty funny though. I wouldn't have had the balls to try that one. If I was riding the bike I'd be giggling my ass off, but if I was in the car I'd be pissed.

I'm not big on lane splitting when traffic is moving, but it would be sweet if WA at least allowed it when traffic is stopped. That is the best!

5. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

He did that whole ride in 19 minutes. Can you imagine how long that would have taken otherwise? We could use that in the Seattle area when you're literally stopped on the freeway just looking around and watching your bike's temp. soar.

-Guff

6. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

after living in seattle for a year, i don't trust cagers here to be able to lane split. drivers out here are morons.

7. KillermondoDude

KillermondoDude Intellectually Sphinctered

In LA everythings brown so theres nothing to watch outside your car while in seattle theres boats and mountains and buncha greeeeeeen so they all drive like there stoned and zoning on the scenery. Oh and we have city titties out here they dont in LA

8. kilo509

kilo509 Stunt Cock

So we can lane split in washington?

9. no. only in cali

10. 820320RR

820320RR Rub me, I sparkle!

:clap That was some pretty good riding. My palms were sweating just watching that. I have actually done something similar to what he did with that Mercedes. I hate it when people stop when you have a free right turn with your own acceleration lane.

11. When we go to Cali every year for Laguna that is one of my favorite things about riding especially when your leaving the track and there is miles of traffic in every direction. Lane splitting for sure saves tons of time.

12. snake

snake Paralized with excitement

Looks pretty usefull, but I think I would be going slower through the tight traffic.

It is kind of funny to do that here. The people here get mad at you or look at you like your crazy.

13. I'm sorry, that whole video to me was just more arguement against lane splitting.

Watching him go 100 on clear road was kinda fun. But I kept waiting for a car to scoot over just an inch and hit him when he was lane splitting (not even changing lanes, just scooting to one side for whatever reason, not good at holding line, tryign to see around traffic, etc.), especially when he went beside some trucks that had very little room in between. And just so many times I saw where a car could easily move over and he would get so slammed as he wouldn't leave enough time for them to realize he was there if they didn't notice him right away, or for him to stop in time (and no room to go elsewhere).

Plus many instances where he did manuvers that I could say would sneak up on people driving (going straight across traffic to appear right next to a car to lane split without even worrying if they might be tryign to jockey for the space that he'd suddenly appear in before he lane split).

Sorry, but I could see why that kind of riding would cause drivers to not like motorcycles and want them banned.

14. fast_lcf

fast_lcf Palouse Pirate

fuck that man no new rider shoud even be doing that shit. i was lucky i did 7500 min's befor i was on my way down to socal. ??

15. When a rider gets squashed it's called a Cali smore.

16. Lucky

Lucky The $75,000 Rider

17. I think it's an Aprillia thing. I'm not for sure, but the last several times I've been to the Northgate area, a guy on a red/grey Aprillia is always splitting lanes through traffic. At least I assume its the same guy, or it could be that all Aprillia riders are crazy jerks.

18. There is an even wilder video out there of a guy lane splitting in a large European city. The Californians I know say they only lane split when the traffic is going less than 30 mph.