close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Throttle Steering???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Jul 21, 2005.

1. How does changing the throttle affect a bikes line in a corner?

2. Pretty vague question. Way too many variables to give a simple amswer.

J

3. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

man, i hope your asking on behalf of the newbs, here...

4. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

This is beans we are talking about.....he rides his 12 like a Busa rider....really fast in the straights but not quite sure what to do in the corners.....

5. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

let off the throttle, the bike turns easier, let on, the bike wants to straighten out. constant throttle keeps the bike stable. gas it so you can put more lean angle into the bike, consequently letting you turn more, possibly saving your ass, like titan6r should have done several weeks ago.

different physics to it, pick up your numerous books for an explanation. sport riding techniques has a good chapter on it.

dig?

6. It depends on what bike you are riding, and your lean angle.

For example, pinning it at full knee-drag on a Busa as opposed to pinning it at half-lean on a moped. :scared

7. That doesn't make sense....I never thought Busa's could get all the way over to a full lean! :nana

8. haha, when do you not pin it on a moped? 8)

9. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

Its so fugging twitchy on my 636...

10. when I took a Freddie Spencer school he worked on that very concept for quite a while - he calls it simply "throttle management" - basically as you enter the turn and you want to tighten ( you're in too hot for comfort) you roll off slightly, on the other hand, if you're entering the turn and you can see through it and want more speed ( gently mind you ) you turn some throttle on it will widen you out and allow you to exit it faster - it all depends on entry speed - remember on the track you know what's on the other side on the street you don't so it's best to enter slower, see what's up and then get on the gas as you move through the apex of the turn after you know what's there - if you're interested Nick Ienatsch's book is worth buying - he's one of Freddie's instructors and his book covers everything every sport rider ought to know to be a good fast safe street and track rider - even the racers would learn a ton from it - I've read it and reread it often - he especially spends time on braking and throttle management - he emphasizess the old line "anybody can go fast straight" - it's all in the turns. And he emphasizes smoothness in all we do as the bike is very easily upset by sudden movements

Steve

11. Got get...and read...Nick Ienatsch's book titled "Sport Riding Techniques".
    It'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about cornering, throttle application, BRAKE application, and how they all combine to make a better rider out of YOU.

Now...remember, that reading it is one thing...but you also must PRACTICE it. I've had my copy since forever, and I'm *still* referring back to it to get things figured out, most frequently for "refreshers"...

It's a damn good book. Better than "A twist of the wrist" by far.

Get it. Read it. You'll soon appreciate having done so.

ZX