close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took a police motor school training class

Discussion in 'Boise Region' started by Vegasrider, May 20, 2013.

1. Offered by the Idaho Stars Program. The states motorcycle safety training program offers a Precision Riding Clinic modeled after the states motor patrol training drills. It's a two day 16 hour course, instructed by a motor patrol officer who's also a Rider Coach along with two other instructors. The diameter and width of the excercises were expanded to accomodate all bikes. I was on my FZ6. As an every day rider for the past seven years, I was embarassed to say that by the end of the first day, my arms and left hand was damn sore. They make you work the bike, often riding the clutch, at the end of the night I didn't even want to look at my bike. I burned through almost 5 gallons of fuel in a parking lot.

The Flying W, three consecutive u turn with a final 90 degree turn at the end to go onto the the next excercise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Snowman. Three consecutive circles, by completing one and a half circle and exiting into the next circle and go in the opposite direction and so forth until you exit the 3rd and final circle. Each radius of the circle decreases by a foot as you enter each circle. At the time these pictures were taken, there were only two circles. They added the 3rd circle later on when we got use to completing two of the circles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the end of the second day, they would incorporate all of the drills into one long excercise. Depending how hard and fast you push it, it could take you over a minute to complete it. It's nonstop, you just keep doing this one long drill that spans over the entire range over and over again. They encouraged the riders to take a break anytime, at the very end I was the only one out on the range tearing it up. I had a blast.

The course is offered two-three times a year, twice in Boise and one up in Northern Idaho. There is no testing, and it's just a clinic to improve your physical skills so that you can place your bike where you want, when you want, everytime. They also covered high speed maximum braking 40mph and added an escape lane at the end, requiring you to do two consecutive 90 degree turns. Pretty tough when you enter the braking zone at 40mph, and then have to enter the escape area. We also practiced group riding, going from single file to staggard and riding two abreast. Practiced parking as a group and leaving as a group one by one. I never put much thought into it, but depending on the group, you either look like pros or a circus.

I highly recommend this class for those who are looking for a challenge without doing a track day. It's like being a motorcop for a couple of days.

http://idahostar.org/courses/precision

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. Looks like fun. :mrgreen: I'm going to be doing a similar class in Portland over Labor Day weekend. This one is 40 hours long, Friday to Monday. I've been going back and forth on which bike to take: my V-Strom since that is my commuter, or my DRZ-40 since it is so light and agile.

3. That sounds awesome! Kudos to you for doing it. Can't wait to take advance riding lessons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Go with your V Storm since it's your every day commuter. That way you will be able to put your bike where you want, when you want, everytime.

5. I would LOVE to do something like that. Will have to check out their program for next time they offer it.

6. Well if your anywhere near Coured'Alene Idaho, they have one next month. Bottom line, you will leave as a better rider after taking the class than when you arrived. It's a skill that a lot of riders don't even bother mastering, which can be used every day. Or, you can be one of those riders and powerwalk the bike rather than riding it.

7. 1) Did you do any wheelies?
    2) Did you get pulled over?

3) :)

8. The class I'm taking in August is put on by the Northwest Motorcycle School. They've got a class in Ranier Or and Renton Wa.

9. Wow, $1100. Yeah, it's four days that a lot of hours. Most of us just don't have the time and money. The Idaho program is $325-$350 and conducted over the weekend, and they just pretty much cut right to the chase, everyone in the class are expected to be a very advanced rider, nothing really basic is covered.

Guaranteed your hands and arms will be sore!

10. You are going to love that school! I've taken the one-day clinic twice. Zsolt is the best motorcycle instructor I've ever had. I would love to be able to dedicate two weekends in a row. You will elevate your riding skills tremendously. You can drag the floorboards right off their Kaw 1000's

Dave

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. Do you use their bike or your own bike? Looks like in the video, everyone was using the same bike.

12. They give you the option. $1,095 is for using their bike. It's $795 for BYOB (Bring your own bike), which is what I opted for.

13. Sweet! I'd like to take a class like that.

14. I think you get a lot more out of the class if you use your own. But again, using their bike, you won't jeopordize dropping or damaging your own bike. During my class, not me but there were several drops by several riders. The program did give you the option of protecting your bike with some foam padding, but none of the riders took up on their offer.