close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trailer impounded in Whatcom county

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement' started by Daytoman, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Had my trailer parked on a county side street behind a friends house. It was reported anonymously, tagged by an officer then impounded 7 days later. After receiving the notice yesterday, i spoke to the officer who handled the tow. He was sympathetic to my situation and said he hates having vehicles towed when they don't appear to be abandoned. He said he pulled the registered owner in his database it had my name, current address and no phone e number. He said he found another person with the more common spelling of my first name, same last name, address on same block as the trailer and a phone number. He did attempt to reach me at my home address and because there was a locked entry to the apartments, couldn't knock on my door. RCW 46.55.085 Law enforcement impound — Unauthorized vehicle in right-of-way seems to be the applicable statute. It reads that the officer will make a reasonable effort to contact the owner by telephone. It seems reasonable that if you are trying contact the owner of a trailer, find a person living on the same block where the trailer is found with the more common spelling of the name, that if there is a number, you will call it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. Rodeojones

Rodeojones (Washington) City

You can take your case to an impound hearing if doing so within 10 days of receiving the notice from the impound company. On their notice, it will give the address of the court to request a hearing.

If you feel your vehicle was improperly impounded, this is the route you want to go.