close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Triumph Speed Triple vs. Yamaha FZ-09

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Sam Fisher, Nov 21, 2017.

Which one would you buy?

1. 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hey everyone!

So I'm finding myself in a bit of a dilemma right now and didn't know where else to turn for advice. I have been riding frequently for the past three years, through 4 different motorcycles, and about 20,000 miles. For the past couple of years I have had my eye on the FZ-09 with its inline-3 engine, but I just have not pulled the trigger, giving excuses to purchase a supermoto and then a CBR600RR.

I have been patiently waiting for the right FZ-09 to come on the market lately, but as of yesterday, I ran into a 2011 Triumph Speed Triple for sale for a very fair price.

I have not ridden either bike, but for the price ($6200) and the mileage (7800) on the Triumph, it made me stop and think, which is killing me slowly.

ANY advice at all as to experiences with either or both bikes would be greatly appreciated!

2. I currently own a 2015 Fz-09 and love the bike. I was going through the same thoughts before getting my FZ-09. The Triumph speed triple is good and Triumph is the reason I bought the Fz-09. The three cylinder engine for me is perfect. It has the low end torque and the nice higher end top speed. The triumph I had before my FZ was a Daytona 675 and it was awesome. I just needed something that rode a little more comfortable and still had the fun and pull of the three cylinder. Which as with you brought me to the Triumph or FZ.

For me it came down to look and feel. I like them both but for me the FZ kept pulling me in. And once I rode the FZ I was sold. The ease of movement on the bike, the close feeling of a supermoto makes it just want to ride like madness. The triumph just felt heavier to me and not as fun. If you do go the Fz route I do suggest a new seat. The stock one is not comfortable for longer rides.
    Hope this helps but if you have more questions let me know

3. Both bikes are great. You won't go wrong with either one.

I wonder what you're really searching for though. Four bikes in three years...and you're looking at another?

I get the lust for a new motorcycle...we all do. I look, I dream. I'll even go so far as to take a test ride. But then I do a bit of thinking. The new bike gives me XY and Z benefits over what I have today. And it will cost me $XXXX to get those benefits. Are they worth that much? In most cases, I have to say no.

So I go back to my dreaming...with a thicker wallet and enjoy what I already ride...which was not a bad choice at all when I bought it.

4. I just traded my FZ-09 in going back to a big cruiser. Nothing wrong with the FZ, I absolutely loved it. I personally ended up doing a lot of 2 up riding and it just isn’t built for that. It handles it great for short rides if you think you may ride with a passenger some. Having owned mine and only giving it up because of passenger comfort on long rides, I would go with the FZ. They are les expensive both to buy and to maintain. Plus, there seem to be more accessories for them. You can go full on sport mode, or get Big windshields, hard side cases, top case with a back rest...... the list goes on. Triumph makes a good motorcycle, but if you don’t specifically have to own a Triumph, I’d get the Yamaha.