close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

V8 Ninja?

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by beansbaxter, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Call me crazy, but I just think it would be really cool to take two ZX12 motors and make a V8 out of them. Wonder what it would take?

1. Muzzy EMS

2. Custom crankshaft trigger. - might be easy with EMS

3. Cams - really different cams.

4. Crank. Hmm...No way to fit 8 con rods in there...Maybe 4 pairs, aka shared crankpin?

5. Custom lower case.

6. Clutch capable of handling 350 hp / 240 lb-ft of torque...

2. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

dude.. I'll order one, or test drive the first one and not have to worry about buying anything else ever again!

-Guff

3. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

type into google search for 'Boss Hoss'

4. You'd be in for a very, very interesting and complex engineering solution for joining two motors like that. At the very least, you would require a custom-made crank, standalone ECU for fuel and spark, custom frame to fit the beast, custom intake manifold, etc...

Easier and cheaper to just drop a 350 in there. Seriously.

Looking more at the Muzzy ECU, it seems to be more of a black box ECU than what you are looking for. It's bloody pricey, too. I'd check out Megasquirt, it'd be much much easier to implement with that. Your crank position sensor would be real easy with a Hall sensor on the ignition side of the motor.

I am curious as to where you're going to have this special engine block made up, though... it's not a simple matter of bolting the two engines together, you need a custom-cast (or forged) block. You could scavenge two blocks and have a machine shop do ti for a pretty penny. Shouldn't cost you more than a thousand dollars or so for that part of it.

As for the clutch, you'd have to get a special clutch basket made with a lot of good friction material (think carbon fiber and lots of it).

Sadly, your cam problem is the easiest part. You probably don't even need a custom grind, you should use stock ones without a problem.

5. That would be cool.

Check this V-12 out. My bike with two sets of cylinders.

[​IMG]

6. how about one motor for each tire! AWD CROTCH ROCKET...NICE!

7. Eh I don't like the Boss Hoss's or the newest custom with the Hemi in it. And obviously he's not talking about doing the easiest thing, no sh!t it's easier to put in a standard production motor.

It's entirely possible to do Bean's idea though. I've seen the site and videos of the same thing but done with two Busa motors. It sounded REALLY badass.

8. I've no doubt it can be done. What I'm getting at is there are easier and cheaper ways to make a bike one of a kind and/or faster.