close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vintage rides?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by ran429, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Anyone else running Vintage/Classic bikes here?

I was wondering as I need a better set of forks on my Bike (82 Kz550 Gpz) and was wondering (sinceI have a set) if a 1985 zx6 frontend would be a bolt on application. Knowing the zx tire is a 16" and my stock is a 19" wheel I dont want to get too involved in fabrication issues mounting them. I was just going to use the down tubes but they are a different size and wont fit my stock tripples.
    [insert]beating head on wall - want to ride[/insert]

anyone have a KZ parts bike in seattle area?

2. I have a vintage bike myself, they can be fun but it is an adventure to find parts and help sometimes. Her is one of the places I have used for work and resource.
    Auburn Motorcycle
    Address: 722 40th St NE, Auburn, WA 98002
    Phone: (253) 939-6666

You may also want to try this place, they make fork tubes sized to order.
    http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

3. I had kept the 305 Honda Dream my dad had.. it was not running but in nearly mint shape, probably a minor fix needed. It was not "cool" yet but he would have given it to me if I had asked..

A buddy of mine has some vintage bikes in his barn in Cali..they need full restoration but are complete, including a Norton Commando! I'm wondering if I can talk him into.... :mrgreen:

4. The one in the barn is a different color and a variant of this:

[​IMG]

Top speed 110 to 120 MPH and a 4 speed gearbox

5. Jafar

Jafar Retired Admin

110-120mph! sounds scary on that bike!

6. My CB is supposed to go up to 125. but there is no way I would try it.

7. Scary indeed! especially with those flat bottomed bias tires!! :shock:

It's just the potential top speed.. my cobra has a potential top speed over 200 MPH.. but the street windshield would collapse at about 170 MPH.. no way I'm going close to that even on a track! :|

8. I had a '77 750SS back in the early 80s.. it indeed made 125 MPH, with a passenger, safely ! Thankfully I only did it once :mrgreen:

9. DAMN !!
    Go renew the cycle permit (too lazy to test) and tons of great info already here!
    I will try that auburn Cycle.

Thanks guy's.

And the Norton is a bad ass ride for a small bike. ask your dad or Gramps how many times I would have to mow his lawn until he lets "ME" have it ok?

10. I used to have a 73 CB350F awhile ago, I took it up to around 97 mph and it was too fast for that bike, Shook me like a pan of popcorn in grease!!

11. Sounds about like my 750. at anything over 80 the bars want to jump out of your hands

12. There's some tricks to smooth out those older spoked-wheel bikes.. and I had 2 350s, one was a cherry CB350 that a guy's wife never rode, it had 800 miles when I bought it! I removed the silly fairing and had a cute little around town bike. Great gas mileage!

Tricks:

Tune your wheels.. you do this by the sound of a wrench on each spoke, as you work your way around the wheel.. they all should sound to the same pitch or "tink" sound

You have to make sure the wheel bearings are good and all parts are balanced and not warped

All bolts must be torqued properly. Everything must be in order

The old style tires were scary. Especially the front ones with the ribs! My bike had early 80's tires and was slightly modified with double cross-drilled front discs, etc.. the old tires were a cause of several severe accidents invlving my buddies.. one incident, buddy on a an early CB750, at over 110 mph when his front ribbed tire shimmied on a back road and he flipped and almost took me with him.. hairy story, my riding skills and new CB550 F super sport saved me. Miraculously he was thrown into the water in the canal, after one bounce on his butt on the road.. he became a human catapult ball, and was relatively uninjured. His bike was mangled :shock:

13. Couple more things to do to cure that shimmy - true the wheel on a wheel stand to remove lateral and vertical runout - make sure it is perfectly round. Balance it with solder wrapped around the spoke nipples or spoke wheel weights if you can find them. Some of that liquid tire balancer/sealer works good too. It won't mess up your wheel because its all contained in the inner tube. Oh yea- when you have the tire off to throw it away because its 20 years old and hard as a rock, wrap the inside center groove of the rim with duct tape and throw away that rotted old rubber strip that was there to protect the tube from the spokes. This will help to hold air in the rim should the tube take a dump on ya and the tire won't go flat immediately and consequently jump off the rim while you're still going 90.
    I have a '74 CB450 SS (double overhead cam w/ torsion bar valve springs) that's cafe'd out and hope to have it on the road for Sportbike NW in August. When its done, I'm starting on my '80 Kawasaki KZ750 twin to give it the old European MCZ treatment.
    That fork update on the GPz 550 sounds interesting and could be accomplished by swapping everything including the tripple clamps and simply fitting new timken bearings in the headstock that have the correct inner and outer dimensions to fit the frame and the new triple T. However, it may not be the best of ideas, given the rigidity of the older frame was designed to accomodate the older, more flexible forks. A stiffer fork may transmit more cornering forces to the frame leading to very uncomfortable flex/rebound. I guess it all depends on how brave you are.
    CB