close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to corner better?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Read Keith Codes Twist Of The Wrist.
    Really good info in there, helps to understand the basics of getting through a corner faster and safely.
    Also been called the roadracers bible and or handbook.

2. Guff

Guff Forum Admin Staff Member

I think I actually have this book.. time to clean my room. :?

-Guff

3. Let me borrow it please...let me know when you find it since that room will never be clean.

4. I don't know I picked up one of those. Then I started thinking about things I do naturally with out even thinking. For example counter-steering-ooh sounds complicated. I think best money spent would be a decent track school.

I think the hardest thing about cornering is wanting to turn in too quick then running wide or having to actually turn twice. Also keeping the bike settled is an issue I am concerned with. There is some decent stuff in some about corner approaches and the lines to take but other than that I am not thinking about weighting my peg or countersteering.

5. StageRulz

StageRulz Doom Crew Inc.

One of the Best things to make you corner better is Suspension Set-Up.....
    It doesn't matter how much experance you have if your Suspension is not Set-Up properly.

6. In other words... Say it with me now.... LATE APEX.

7. you said it bro. on the streets, it may be your only defense against a decreasing radius turn.

that is a great book. i read it way back in the 80s when it was first printed. lots fo great information in it.

8. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

I have both, bought them before coming over here. They are good but just seem old school in some areas. Great for track day riders or potential racers but just for the average guy riding the streets it wont do much...

9. I still have this book from WMRRA 5 years ago sitting in closet up in Bothell.
    And the lines how to take corners are no different on street or track.
    Your line is just more narrow, concept is the same.

10. right. i call it the lookey loo line. try to see what is down the turn first on the street before hitting the apex. there may be something in your path you want to avoid.

11. I disagree, a little. Google around for Chris Denzler (WMRRA member). He races open class (IIRC) on a 1980's era GoldWing, with consistently good finishes. I was told he still had the tape player installed, but the race officials told him to refrain from playing music through the speakers on race day. And although I'm sure his suspension is set up really well, it's the rider, really.

12. suspension setup is a big help but back in the days of kz1000 superbikes, we really didnt have the worlds best suspesnions so we had to rely on our skills. i look back at some of the riding i did back in the early 80s and think obout those leaking twin shocks, flexing front forks with crappy dampening, flexi flyer frames, skinny 130mm tire......then i think to myself that i must have been nuts racing one of those things:shock:

13. That's what women are for!!!!!!....:scared

14. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Ive been twice to his school.
    Once at Seattle, and at Laguna Seca.
    I also recommend 'Twist of the Wrist II', and 'The Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles'. Both also by Keith Code.
    His 'Vidio' is also a Great learning tool!

15. OK. The real key to higher cornering speed is to brake late, brake hard, and then flick it in fast while trail braking. Carry speed to the apex while slowly letting off brake pressure and just as you get to no brakes roll the gas on to stabilize the chassis.

Spend as little time at full lean as possible, the longer at full lean the more time there is for things to go wrong. As you pick the bike up slowly roll on more power until your to a fat enough part of the tire to get to full throttle. Fast corner.

16. Perferd

Perferd Grade A Champion

Concept is great but how is picking ref. points in a corner I will never see again gonna work lol....

17. Your supposed to look through the corner, you go where your eyes are looking.
    Ref points are for slowing down, even guessing 10 ft before a corner is a ref point. Having a ref point in the corner is the best way to have target fixation and crash. Is this how you were thinking right before you crashed :scratchea