close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what bike do i get?

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by tWiTcH, Jun 9, 2005.

1. i'm 20 and looking to buy my first bike and i'm not sure what to get i need some help.. I almost bought a 2005 r6 last week but backed out at the last moment any suggestions?

2. Well, I am selling my Radian. It was my first bike and worked wonderfully. Doesn't have nearly the zip or handling of a newer bike, but you get to learn how to make the bike work for you and get all you can out of the machine, instead of trying to keep up with a modern sportsbike that only reaches its limits on the track.

Just a thought. Oh, and read this: http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=100

Hope it helps!

3. I will part with my MV if you got the $.

4. :shock:

5. Lol, in case he isn't kidding, you do NOT want an MV as your first bike. You'll likely drop whatever it is, either going fast (hopefully not) or more likely, at parking lot speeds. One of the best first bikes out there is the Ninja 250/500. Buy it used and you can usually resell it without losing any money. They change hands a lot as people buy them, learn, and move on. Another good beginner's bike is the SV650, a bike that will grow with you. It's great for beginners but even people that have been riding a long time love them. GS500's are good bikes that don't make too much power for beginner's either. A Kawasaki ZX-6E, Suzuki Katana 600, or Bandit 600 would all be good too. Though if you are small the Katana wouldn't be ideal because it's a bit top heavy, especially compared to the rest. Makes a great sport tourer though.

GL!

6. spolic

spolic Ducati Pilot

First of all, have you taken the Motorcycle Saftey Course???

7. My first bike was a Katana 600, but like Red said, it's beefy. I would try to find a used SV. They are light weight, but have plenty of power. You shouldn't be complaining about the power even after a full season. I actually wouldn't mind one. They are a pretty fun ride. The Ninja, wouldn't be too bad either.

8. cordodor

cordodor Retired

TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!! if you haven't yet... :lol:

9. +1 x10!

10. +1

11. snake

snake Paralized with excitement

Yeah if you take the MSF beginer course they provide a bike. You can take it at Westside, among other places. And while you are at Westside check out the CBR600RR, Sport Rider ranked it number 1 this year.

12. cordodor

cordodor Retired

ah, but cycle world rated the R6 number 1 this year. Although you can't go wrong with either bike, I think the R6 is more comfortable, handles better, is lighter and has more horsepower, but that's just me... 8)

13. Didn't recognize your name at first. If you want to wait Brandon has that blue 02 katana for 3000. I will give him a call and call you later tonight.

14. I thought SportRider ranked the Katana number one this year.

Take the MSF course, then buy good gear (jacket, helmet, gloves at least) and then buy yourself a Ninja.

15. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

I'm not necessarily opposed to owning a 600 as your first bike, so long as you maybe take a class first and are extremely careful on the throttle...however, you're most likely going to drop your first bike at a stop light or in a parking lot at the very least, so I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on something pretty because its only gonna get dinged up. Ride a thrasher for a few months and get your growing pains out of the way, THEN buy something that looks nice.

FYI, every single one of my friends that has taken their first-ever motorcycle ride on my Interceptor 250 has either tipped it over or dropped it at low speed in a parking lot, no exceptions! Keep that in mind next time you're eyeballing a shiny new R6!!!!

16. If you have never rode a bike before, aka no dirt bike experience, then i would never suggest any 600cc super sport bike. They are too much power for someone without motorcycle experience. Besides, you wouldnt want to crash a really nice bike ya know. I would suggest what Red Raevyn suggested. Something not as powerful, such as a Katana or SV650. Its better to take things slow and live as opposed to take things fast and die or wreck your bike.

17. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

I started on a Honda CBR600F4i as my first bike (still have it as a matter of fact). If you can find an F4 or an F4i that would be a good starter bike I think. There is some zip to them and you certainly learn how to work the bike. However, there is also an element of forgiveness in them and while powerful shouldn't scare you too much. If you have not ridden before.....to repeat what everyone else is saying.....take the course out at Westside and then pick up a used 250 or 500 to start on. You are going to drop your first bike. I did. There's no way around that and if you get something new and nice and drop it you could look to spend a lot of money in replacing your plastics to make it look nice and new again.

18. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Why dont you look for a mid 90's 600? Any brand, something in good shape for a great price. Older bike, makes it easy to find parts if you do drop it! Plus you do have the power to use as your skill improves.

19. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

yep. take it from me: a brand new 600 with no experience is bad. but i still love my baby girl, even with all her battle scars...

20. cordodor

cordodor Retired

yeah, i'm not recommending a supersport 600 as your first bike, i'm just arguing an R6 to be the best one :)