close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured What dirtbike do i get?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Dylan C, May 23, 2017.

1. Hello, I am a 15 year old kid who wants to get into dirt biking. It seems like a lot of fun but I just don't know what bike I should get or anything about them. I was wondering if I could get some help. I am about 5'5 and weigh about 130. I've never ridden one before but I was hoping someone could help me figure out what bike would be good for me. Oh yea, and I don't plan on riding these on the streets.

2. First thing I would advise is that you get some familiarity with riding before you go buy a bike. Take an introductory dirt riking course.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation organizes dirt bike classes in Washington and Oregon and runs them when they have enough students. Call (877) 288-7093 for more information.

Puget Sound Safety also offers courses on learning to ride dirt bikes for those who've never ridden before. Find out more at http://pssor.com/pssor-courses/ltr

That should give you an idea of not only what type of bike and gear you should get, but also if you enjoy riding in the dirt.

3. Okay. Thank you this helped a lot!

4. Get a small bore 4 stroke. I grew up on 2 strokes, but the powerband can make learning more difficult. I taught my kids on a Kawasaki 140L and a Honda CRF150. They progressed and grew and now race motocross and can ride anything.

If you go 2 stroke a 125 is manageable, but it has the same seat height as a full size bike, and at 5'5" it may be challenging.

Enjoy!