close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is an "experienced" rider?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Jun 6, 2005.

1. What is an "experienced" rider?

Is it based on how many seasons you ride? Is it how many track days you do? Do you have to be a racer? Is it based on how many miles you rack up on your odometer?

With some people thinking that an 'experienced' rider is less likely to crash their motorcycle, I want to know what makes a rider 'experienced'?

When should I consider myself 'experienced'?

2. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

technically, anyone who's ridden a bike even once is "experienced." what makes one person more experienced than the other? it's all subjective and relative, man.

3. It can be very relative.

I have ridden in earlier ages with 17 and 18 year old friends who were excellent riders, and I have seen older bikers do some dumb stuff and wipe out and even die. But way more young guys and females bite it bad than seasoned male bikers. For one thing if you have the knack/natural ability to be cool and fast in a split second incident, and have taken spills (I have, many years ago, and the recent minor incident with the van to remind me) then you will always wear your gear, and you will have a much better chance to avoid serious injury. The first time "oh $hit" freeze-up brain drain will get you hurt.

I would define seasoned or experienced riders as those who realize just how dangerous our sport is, and they have become very cautious and very suspicious of most everything on the road, including environmental/situational hazards, as a result. And they know how to handle or avoid nasty situations, instinctively.

4. jabstar17

jabstar17 Le Bitch

Well put! I like Max and Blondies response! If you have been around the bush a few times, that'll make you some what experienced. But still it is all relevant!

Great question Beans!