close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of gear does everyone have?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, May 22, 2005.

1. As the best part of the riding season is under way, it's a good reminder to make sure everyone has their gear. So what kind of gear does everyone have and use?

Here is my list:
    Helmet: Shoei
    Jacket: Vanson Leathers (w/ liner and armor)
    Gloves: Vanson Leathers (w/ inserts)
    Boots: Alpine Stars
    Balaclava: Tucker Rocky (I highly recommend!)

Still need:
    Pants: Vanson Leathers

2. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

shoei rf1000
    astars dyno leather jacket
    astars track pants
    astars smx6 gloves (gp pro gloves on the way)
    astars tech protector
    sidi vertigos

get pants, beans. you need 'em. shouldn't ride without pants. you could burn yourself. and imagine the road rash...

3. HJC lid
    Joe Rocket Gloves
    Joe Rocket Jacket
    Gaerne Boots
    Tecknic leather pants (on on order)

4. Arai Signet Gt
    Fieldsheer zero condition jacket/ Firstgear mesh for summer
    Joe Rocket pants
    Alpinestars boots
    joe rocket gloves

5. cordodor

cordodor Retired

Arai RX-7 Corsair Helmet
    Yamaha Leather Jacket
    Buse Gauntlet Kevlar Gloves
    Icon TiMax Textile Pants
    Icon Super Duty Boots

6. My g-friends hot pink thong and tube top

7. that sounds uncomfertable, did you loose a bet?

8. For the street we both have matching:

Arai Renegade helmets

Hein Gericke V-Pilot black leather jackets and pants

Various boots and gloves for different weather

Also have perforated leather jackets and chaps for really hot weather

All of you should be wearing sunglasses (or clear safety glasses at night) for when you have to be moving with your visor open. Don't wait till you get a hornet/bee/beetle, rock or chip of glass in the eye... and BYW in my younger more foolish days I once rode around town on my CB750 sans jacket and ended up one day with a hornet down my shirt.. got stung 7 times before I smacked it to death. If you're the type to panic you just might wipe out in this scenario. Man that hurt, wear your leathers, zipped up fully, for many good reasons, not just road pizza protection!

9. I don't do the sunglasses thing like some, rather I always have my tinted visor on the helmet and the clear visor stored in the trunk area at all times in case I need to switch.

I remember in Pullman having a bee somehow get in my helmet as I was coming to that first red light in Pullman from Moscow, I just held my composure and pulled over and got that helmet off with minimal stings.

10. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Shoei RF-1000 helmet
    Joe Rocket Atomic jacket
    Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 pants
    Joe Rocket Reactor gloves
    Alpinestars Ridge boots

11. cordodor

cordodor Retired

ditto.. i use a tinted visor that i switch out with my clear one. I've had bees fly up into my helmet, but very calmly just open the visor up and the wind carries it out.

12. Same here, although the main reason I use sunglasses instead of a tinted visor is I usually ride with the visor open if I am doing less that 30mph.

13. cordodor

cordodor Retired

i'll crack the visor at <30, but not ride wide open...

14. Depends on the day, if the air is clear I'll ride open. If there are lots of bug and other crap flying around I just crack it for air.

15. Saw this on cyclenews this morning.

The following information was released by J.D. Power and Associates:

For an impressive seventh consecutive year, Arai ranks highest in customer satisfaction with motorcycle helmets, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Motorcycle Helmet Satisfaction Study released today.

Arai receives an overall satisfaction index score of 811 (on a 1000-point scale) and performs particularly well in regard to ventilation and styling/design. Shoei follows Arai with an index score of 795. Harley-Davidson and Nolan also perform above the industry average.

“Arai continues to produce high-quality products by making innovative, state-of-the-art advances in helmet comfort and design,” said Todd Markusic, director of the Powersports practice at J.D. Power and Associates.

The study finds that the top two elements that most influence the decision to purchase a new helmet are comfort/fit and style/color. Overall helmet satisfaction for the industry increases for the fourth consecutive year to 728 index points in 2005, compared to 725 in 2004.

The study also shows that regardless of motorcycle make, HJC is the most commonly purchased brand of helmet, with more than 25 percent of customers surveyed indicating they purchased this brand. Based on the study, HJC, Shoei, Arai and Harley-Davidson brands constitute about one-half of the total helmet market.

Convertible style helmets, which typically have a retractable face plate, continue to increase in popularity, as 13 percent of customers surveyed indicate this type of helmet was purchased, versus only 3 percent reported in 2003.

“We expect this trend to continue, as more manufacturers are adding the convertible helmet to their product lineups,” said Markusic.

Buying motorcycle helmets online is on the rise as 25 percent of those surveyed who had made any type of motorcycle-related purchase via the Internet report buying a helmet. Consumers who purchase their helmets online are more likely to indicate they “definitely will” purchase the same brand again. The study finds that online purchasers tend to pay up to $50 less for the same helmet than those purchasing elsewhere.

The 2005 Motorcycle Helmet Satisfaction Study is based on responses from more than 6000 purchasers of new 2004 model-year motorcycles who provided information about their most recent helmet purchase experience and helmet use.

16. And that is the very reason why I do not have an Arai. Seems like everyone and their mothers and their mother's mother has one. I guess it's not that Shoei isnt any better, but their Royal Blue color is a perfect match to my Kawi.

I like to be uniquely different with my brand selection. Weird, cause IMHO Vanson Leathers is simply the best and I only see a handful of people out there who have or wear it.

And I love Alpine Star, but they are turning into another Joe Rocket. Remember when Joe Rocket stuff was the shiznit and EVERYONE had it. So Joe Rocket kept pumping out all sorts of gear and apparel till the market was so saturated it was disgusting. Now Alpine Stars is following the same path, it's everywhere even at Zumiez in the mall. But a lot of AStar stuff looks really good still.

17. I don't pick my gear on popularity either. I looked at Shoei, Arai and Suomy when I bought my helmet. the arai just fit my head better

18. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Well...I'd take that JD Powers article with a grain of salt...afterall, after you spend $400-$500 on an Arai or Shoei, what are you going to say, "No, my $500 helmet sucks, I got screwed,"?!??!! Not that I don't think my Shoei is a kickass helmet, but that sure doesn't sound too scientific to me!

Hey Beans, the reason you don't see too many riders wearing Vanson isn't because people don't know it rocks; it's because THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT! I'd love to have a Vanson jacket, but they are just not in the budget, hence my $120 Joe Rocket textile gear. Sorta like the same reason I don't drive a Ferrari.

19. Arai Quantum/f and HJC helmets
    Joe Rocket Speedmaster 2-piece leathers and textile jacket
    Sidi Vertabra 2 boots
    Joe Rocket gloves (leather racing and cold weather)
    AGV sport leather gloves

20. HJC helmet - teal
    JR Ballistic jacket - black
    JR Phoenix mesh jacket - blue
    JR Phoenix Ladies mesh pants - black
    AStar boots - black
    generic leather motorcycle gloves - black

All lovingly provided by my father to make sure his eldest daughter stays alive while riding the streets. :toothy7:

WISH LIST:
    JR Ladies Alter Ego jacket - black/grey/white
    Warm weather gloves
    Silk glove liners
    Cold weather overpants