close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wheelie School Death

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by jezterr, May 25, 2005.

1. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

Woman dies after attempting wheelie

By Alexa James
    Times Herald-Record
    ajames@th-record.com

Montgomery – Men and women who ride motorcycles understand the risks. If something goes wrong on a bike, the resulting injuries are usually serious or life threatening. Even so, millions take that chance for the thrill and passion of the cycling experience, and increasing numbers are participating in stunt classes to learn "safer" ways to perform tricks. About 1 p.m. Sunday, the Los Angeles-based company On One Wheel was using a rented stretch of tarmac at the Orange County Airport to help riders practice popping wheelies. Something went wrong. According to Town of Montgomery police, Leslie R. Duco, 46, was participating in the wheelie class when she lost control of a Triumph motorcycle and was thrown from the bike. Sgt. Dennis Barnett said Duco was treated on-site by Montgomery County Regional EMS, already on standby at the airport, and transported by Mobile Life Support Services to Orange Regional Medical Center in Middletown, where she later died. Police said the cause of death has not yet been determined. "The pavement was wet, (but) right now it does not appear that the weather had anything to do with it," Barnett said. "It's not prudent to do those kinds of maneuvers in inclement weather." A reconstruction and investigation by Montgomery police and the Orange County Sheriff's Office is continuing. While there's no risk-free way to practice motorcycle stunts, On One Wheel uses a modified training bike equipped with anti-flip devices designed to slow the bike and lower it back to the ground. According to the company's Web site, one device activates a "rev limiter" to kill one of the engine's three cylinders, and the other device applies the rear brake. The training bike can also be adjusted for different wheelie heights. According to the Web site, Sunday's class was the last of three consecutive days of sold-out training courses at the airport. The next series of classes is scheduled from June 10 to 12. Lessons cost $495 per day.
    Orange County spokesman Steve Gross said On One Wheel had the appropriate permits and insurance to conduct classes at the airport. It's not unusual for the airport to rent to private organizations. "We have a number of venues that rent space from the airport from time to time," Gross said. In the past, bus drivers have trained on unused runway. Duco's family could not be reached yesterday. A spokesman for On One Wheel could not discuss the accident by press time yesterday.

---------------------

lia, g-spot and trixie and all the other ladies, and dudes for that matter, keep your head on. i'd hate to read an article about one of us...

2. I am not trying to be cold here. The death is sad.
    What struck me though was the cost. $500/day to (hopefully) learn to do wheelies?
    damn

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

I agree....don't know ho many know but we had a rider who went down Monday night and broke his collar bone on the left side trying to do a wheelie; he's okay though and that is the only injury that he suffered. It's sad...but we all know that this can happen...

4. So this is sad... and sucks... and outrageous at $495 a DAY?!?! How did this woman get "thrown from her bike" and killed? It doesn't say she got crushed. Hmmm.. But what I'm wondering... did you post this with intentions of suggesting that girls shouldn't stunt? ;)

5. KCander

KCander El Duderino "Old Timer"

Yeah...there's definitely more to this story than they're reporting...like maybe she was in 3rd gear doing 110mph when she f'ed up, or she wheelied into another bike...or maybe a plane tried to land on the airstrip while she was wheelieing and came down on her head? Seriously though, something is fishy about this story. I love the beginning, "If something goes wrong on a bike, the resulting injuries are usually serious or life threatening." Ever seen somebody lay a bike down, get back up and ride it home? Yeah, me too. The media sucks.

Oh, and for the record, women should stunt all they want, so long as they do it barefoot and pregnant. :toothy7:

6. KC you forgot in the Kitchen

7. G-Spot

G-Spot Pint Size Pimpin'

Oh my gosh! Am I going to have to show you boys how girls are quite capable of being fully clothed, wearing shoes, and the furthest thing from pregnant when doing wheelies??!!! lol

8. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

not at all. i think it's hot. i'm just saying i wouldn't wanna see any of you sweeties getting hurt. so just be careful. i could care less if the dudes biff (j/k).

9. It's not just about your riding abilities, although i have never seen a female that could ride like the best of male riders.. and I've seen some hairy stuff in my 36 years on bikes..
    It's also your ability to absorb punishment in an accident, and your physical strength.. I have seen male riders bite it at over 110 miles per hour in scenarions where you probably would have died, and they walked away from it. Don't take it personal, it's just a fact that way more females get hurt on the street, percentage wise than males, and that says a lot with all the bone headed stunts young bikers (and some older ones) pull

Let me relate what happened to me this afternoon. Quick reflexes and physical strength kept me whole and happy. yes, I lay most of the blame on me but all's well that ends well. This is a post I made on my V-Max club today on a thread about a Dr who was horribly injured on his Max due to an incompetent Jeep driver.. (he will fully recover with titanium inserts and an artificial shoulder joint) :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I had a incident this afternoon on my 'Max. Not 2
    blocks from my home. It's been a wierd spring! Let me say I've not
    had one incident on my 'Max in almost 7,000 miles, and I'm a very
    seasoned street and dirt rider. I'm 44 and been on two wheels for 36
    years.

I was accelerating onto a major artery out of our residential
    streets, and not 150 yards from entering, a large late 70s Chevy van
    had stopped in front of me.. dead stopped, but the brake lights did
    not come on at first, so I did not notice it in time.. what had
    happened was that a Corvette was making a left ahead of him into a
    COLLISION repair business (lol) (I could not see the Vette at all,
    never did) and I suspect the van had a manual tranny or the brake
    lights were not properly adjusted. Anyway, I noticed the van
    physically slowing and I really jammed on the brakes, HARD. I just
    changed out my rear pads to EBC performance types, and it locked my
    rear brakes up nicely, the rear end fishtailing around as I clamped
    on the front brakes as hard as possible without locking them up..my
    little voice said "you're gonna hit him, make it as slow as
    possible". I attempted to steer to the right to miss him and end up
    in the grass alongside the road, but no such luck. I impacted his
    rear bumper at maybe 4-5 MPH (just guessing) and since the front tire
    had a rightward stress from my trying to maneuver, the tire/wheel
    glanced "into-under" his rear bumper. The bike stopped, I and the
    bike fell to the left, I rolled onto my butt and then the back of my
    helmet impacted the tarmac with a nice "thud".
    Get this: The front tire went under the steel bumper, taking out the
    energy of the impact, and the only damage incurred to my bike was the
    front fender popped/broke off approximately the front 6 inches! I
    also have a tiny scratch to the very rear of my Supertrapp slip-ons.
    Even my helmet (A new ARAI Renegade, I value my brains) had no more
    than a pin point gouge that is hardly noticeable! I picked the bike
    up immediately and rolled it aside and I told the van driver it was
    my fault, he was happy and there was no damage to his van so it ended
    with no problem. A bystander at a local business came over and just
    stared at me like I was Evel Knievel, he never said a word but just
    grinned. I was very happy and do need to get back to my normal sharp
    self, the warm weather here in Washington State has made everyone a
    bit dingy. Here's something even more amazing: I pulled the front
    wheel and fender, and was able to grind it back to a decent profile,
    and reverse it and it actually looks great.. (lol) so until I Mad Max
    my bike I may just leave it that way,... as a reminder to be more on
    the ball.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My comments to the Washington rider's forum, all of you: BE CAREFUL AND SLOW DOWN ONE NOTCH.

10. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

weird. i had the exact same thing happen to me no more than 20 minutes ago... i was coming up an onramp, accelerating, getting up to about 70 and i noticed this big blue chevy van in front of me all of a sudden, and it was dead stopped. no brake lights, nothing. i got on both the brakes as hard as i've ever done in my whole life, the rear came up and was bouncing and swinging side to side and it still wasn't enough to stop me in time... had to steer off to the left and came within a foot off the left side of the van. glad there was space there, otherwise i would've been down. it was scary, too, i've never had the back bounce like that before...

me and my stupid observation skills i blame, but for frick's sake, FIX YOUR FREAKIN' BRAKE LIGHTS.

11. I second that!!!!

I have seen too many cars on the road without working break lights, or people that use engine braking to slow down and don't at least drag the brake to get the lights on.