close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WMRRA 2014 Round 2 - cornerworker's report.

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Worldtraveller, May 26, 2014.

1. Saturday racing was great fun to watch (I was in Turn 15 at the bottom of the ridge). Lots of exciting races, and a bit too much exciting crashes. Luckily, nothing serious, but we did have a couple red flags come out.

Sunday was nice at first (weather wise). During fast practice, someone's motor let go between 12-13, leaving a long streak of oil on the track. We had a small army of people up there sweeping and cleaning up the oil. (Thanks to all the crews, spectators and riders who came up to help!) By the time we finished we were about 40 mins behind schedule, and the rain had started.

The afternoon races were anything from dry to sketchy to full on water running down the track wet....

Still some fantastic racing, and not too many riders down, considering the conditions. Best save of the weekend has to go to Chase Glidden (#10) for that near high side going through turn 9. I was working 10 that day, and I swear his bike got nearly 45 degrees sideways and he still managed to save it! :shock:

It was a very busy weekend for us in the corners. I think the final 'bike down' count for the weekend was somewhere around 32. Good news is, none of it was serious, and the ambulance rides were all precautionary.

Let's make round 3 a bit more boring for the corner workers! (I hope to be racing by that round.)

2. Yes - It was an interesting weekend to corner work! I happen to take over your Saturday corner on Sunday - corner 15. Had only one get off at SLOW speed on Sunday but it was a red flag get off. Bike and rider remained on the track which is an automatic race stoppage. Chase Glidden (#10) rode a beautiful very wet race in the 750 Super Bike race for a win. Nice to hear about the near high side during the awards and the near perfect wet ride for the win.
    Cleaning up the oil from the blown engine was a bummer but - what a work crew!
    Thanks for your report and I will See you next month!

Steve

Last edited: May 27, 2014

3. And great meeting both of you guys :tiphat:

Here was a quick snap of that cleansweep army from Sunday. I swapped my camera for a broom, but I at least had my phone to take a quick pic :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

4. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Photo worky!

5. Here is one from the top - 12 into 13. Jason's is from 14 - 13 - I saw it on his phone :-}

Steve

[​IMG]

6. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

It is a testament to the total kick ass job each and every one of you did that three races later I saw absolutely no sign of this at all during my race. You guys kicked some serious ass, thanks to all of you!!

7. I was in the Novice race right after the oil spillage. I didn't see any of it on the track either. Thanks!

8. +1 I also was in the Novice race and that portion of the track was in great shape. It was the rain that was making it fun:shock:

Thanks for all you do!

Derick

9. Great thing about those pics is that most of the people you see there are first time corner workers, but a lot of them are friends, family, and racers that came up from the pits to help.

I hoofed it over from turn 10 when it looked like the cleanup was going to take a while, and there were already a bunch of volunteers up there from the pits, workin' the brooms.

That's what I love about WMRRA, they really are one big family. Even though the fast guys will rub elbows on the track, once they are off track, everyone's family.

10. As a police officer, the words "cornerworker" as the thread title had a completely different meaning :)
    Glad you're talking about racing :)

sent via middle finger messaging

Worldtraveller likes this.
  11. Did anyone see the Crash In T5 during the novice race on sat?

12. At least 2 people had front row seats.

13. im just curious how they saw it go down I was involved and am lookn for some outsider feeed back