close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yesterday's Wind

Discussion in 'Wenatchee' started by Guy M, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

Good grief! A buddy and I were on our way back to Wenatchee from Republic. He was on his Electra Glide, I had my DL650. Everything was fine, a nice ride, crossed at Keller Ferry then up onto the Columbia Plateau... Oh my...

Hit Hwy 2 at Wilbur, 100 miles from Wenatchee. North wind, at oh, 35 - 50 mph maybe? Dust so thick we couldn't see at times. Tumbleweeds were slapping into us as we rode. Impossible to avoid them all. My bike was leaned well into the wind, almost the entire way. Stopped in pretty much every little farm town along the way to get out of the wind for a bit, and wash down the dust with some hot coffee. Started getting cold too. Ugh. In Hartline a guy came out and invited us inside, rescuing us from the wind. I'd have to say it's the longest stretch of bad crosswind I've ever had to deal with.

Seriously considered just hanging it up and getting a motel room in Coulee City, but conditions were improving a bit by then - it was getting late. Pressed on, into the setting sun that we could hardly see through the dust. Took the Badger Mountain Road cutoff. Never saw an Electra Glide on the dirt part of that road before... My pard handled it well, nice and steady.

Quite a ride... We knew it was going to be a bit breezy... But Wow! :shock:

Fine way to usher in the Autmun riding season...

2. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

Sounds like an interesting ride...

KevinD